Saturday, May 31, 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel: Pretty Panda Prefontaines!

That title is a mouthful of alliteration, eh?

What is Perfect Pattern Parcel, you may ask?

Here at Perfect Pattern Parcel, we believe in supporting independent pattern designers. It’s our opinion that indie patterns are just, well, better than big box patterns, and we’re pretty sure our customers think so too. So, we allow customers to show their support in naming their own price for each Parcel.  We also encourage customers to allocate part of their Parcel price to the charity Donorschoose.org in order to help classrooms in need. Pattern Parcel donates all profits after expenses from Parcel sales to the charity as well. Together we've raised almost $4,500 towards eliminating educational inequality.

A great cause, huh? Check out this awesome graphic showing all the school supplies the proceeds from Parcel #2 earned!

What's in Perfect Pattern Parcel #3?
Pattern Parcel #3

Poppy Tunic by Make it Perfect
Water Bottle Tote by Radiant Home Studio
Jorna Tank Dress by Jenna Brand
Staple Dress by April Rhodes
Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files

Plus, the Bonus Pattern: choose a price of $28 or greater for Parcel #3 and you will automatically also be sent the Bonus Pattern! The Bonus Pattern for this Parcel is Prefontaine Shorts for Women by Made with Moxie. This shorts pattern has a retro trim, loads of pockets, two inseams and are so comfortable you won't want to take them off. Includes sizes 0 - 24. Exclusive launch on Pattern Parcel. Be the first to own this pattern!

Pattern Parcel #3

My first project from the Perfect Pattern Parcel is the bonus pattern, the brand new pattern from Jill of Made with Moxie: the Prefontaine shorts for women!  A lady-sized version of her popular Prefontaine shorts for kiddos, the shorts are retro '70s-style running shorts like those worn by Steve Prefontaine, an American runner from that era.


I am not typically a shorts wearer outside the confines of my home, although Bangkok's heat forces me to don them on occasion.  However, the Prefontaine shorts are exactly the kind of shorts I like to wear to bop around the house/sew/sleep, so I dove in!  After making them, I might be reconsidering my shorts-in-public stance...


I ended up making a size up from what my measurements called for, just to safely ensure that my junk in the trunk would fit, but I think in the end that was probably unnecessary; my shorts are a little on the roomy side. Next time I'll just make my regular size, as the pattern seems to have the perfect amount of ease built in.  No back pockets for me on this pair, although the little welt pocket option is quite cute!  I did the covered elastic waistband option so the elastic wouldn't be itchy on my skin.


The fabric: I am not normally one to buy novelty fabrics (at least not for myself... for kids, yessir), but somehow I couldn't walk away from this panda fabric I found in Bangkok's Chinatown.  It's a Belleboo print and it is super cute.  Perhaps the fabric reminded me of days of yorn when I lived in DC, little Butterstick (AKA Tai Shan) the baby panda was born at the National Zoo, and watching him on the panda-cam was a national (or at least DC area) pastime.  I dunno, but I love it.  When I bought it I assumed it was black pandas on a white background, but when I got into better lighting, I realized it was navy on cream.  It was an impulse purchase, for sure, and I wasn't really sure what to do with it once I got it home, but eventually I realized it was perfect for some Prefontaines.  I paired it with binding made from the leftover navy ponte I used for the contrasting yoke on Tim's Newcastle Cardigan.


I love the final result!

Pandas + Ponte + Prefontaines = Perfection.

A cute and comfortable cut/shape plus the super soft knit binding makes for one awesome pair of shorts.  I envision many more of these in the future!


Get yourself a Perfect Pattern Parcel, unlock the bonus pattern and you, too, can make yourself some of these awesome shorts!

Buy Pattern Parcel #3

Also, while you're at it, check out some of the other Pattern Parcel patterns sewn up by this gaggle of amazing bloggers... when I found out that I would be sewing along with these talented and stylish ladies, my immediate thoughts were as such:



Parcel #3 Inspiration Tour Schedule:

Friday, May 30 Sew Busy Lizzy || Pienkel || SeamstressErin

Saturday, May 31 Design By Lindsay || the Brodrick design studio || Cookin' and Craftin'

Sunday, June 1 Diary of a Chainstitcher || a happy stitch || Disaster in a Dress || sew Amy sew

'So, Zo... What do you know?'

Sunday, June 8 oonaballoona || A Stitching Odyssey || Sew Charleston

Monday, June 9 Sew Sweetness || True Bias || Ozzy Blackbeard

Tuesday, June 10 Welcome to the Mouse House || Sew Caroline || Adventures in Dressmaking

Wednesday, June 11 Peneloping || YoSaMi || sewVery

Thursday, June 12 la inglesita || La Pantigana || Sanae Ishida

Friday, June 13 Seamster Sewing Patterns || Paunnet


4 comments:

  1. Great shorts! I don't wear them in public either but those look perfect for a lazy afternoon at home. I love the pandas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're super comfortable.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a novelty fabric kinda gal either, but those pandas are rockin! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I don't know why, but I just couldn't put the fabric down even though it's not my normal style. Destiny, I suppose!

      Delete