Friday, June 6, 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel: Jorna Tank

My third Perfect Pattern Parcel make (check out my first two here and here!) and certainly not my last... dudes, this parcel rocks. Seriously. So many great patterns in support of a such a great cause. Win-win.

This is the Jorna tank top from Jenna Brand... I loooove it, and that's despite the myriad mistakes I made while sewing it, the foremost of which was fabric choice. Jorna is a knit tank, tunic or dress with a super cool and floaty hemline.  I made the tank version, but already bought fabric for a dress version.


For my first Jorna, I used a cotton/rayon slub jersey from Girl Charlee (mine is olive, but there are other colors here).  Warning: this is slippery stuff, difficult to cut and quite sheer (see bra below, oops!).  But on the other hand, it's super soft and floaty, so...


Based on my bust measurement, I was at the low-end of the size range... but once I made it, it was several inches too large around the bust, gaping like crazy around the armpits.  I don't know what went wrong, but I had to take it in at least 2 inches on each side to the point that, when laid on the pattern, the measurements were closer to size M.  Hmmm. I double-checked to make sure I had printed out the pattern correctly and then I also flat measured it.  Turns out, if I wanted a close fit on the bust, perhaps a size smaller L would have been a better choice, but I think part of the problem was my fabric, too.  That knit stuff was slippery and stretchy! Fabric choice continues to be problematic for me as far as knits go... sigh.  In any case, I was able to take it in on the sides and make it work.  Next time I'll use a stabler knit and go down a size.


Anywho, my poor fabric choice doesn't affect how great I think the Jorna pattern is.  I love, love, love the hem.  I like how it's long in both the front and back for coverage, but shorter on the sides. Plus, it has such a nice drape and twirly-ness (is that a word?).  Goes well with leggings, a pencil skirt, jeans... I've already picked out another (more stable!) knit for my next Jorna!  



Me looking like a fool while demonstrating the Jorna's twirl-factor:


Need a reminder about what Perfect Pattern Parcel is?

Here at Perfect Pattern Parcel, we believe in supporting independent pattern designers. It’s our opinion that indie patterns are just, well, better than big box patterns, and we’re pretty sure our customers think so too. So, we allow customers to show their support in naming their own price for each Parcel.  We also encourage customers to allocate part of their Parcel price to the charity Donorschoose.org in order to help classrooms in need. Pattern Parcel donates all profits after expenses from Parcel sales to the charity as well. Together we've raised almost $4,500 towards eliminating educational inequality.

Poppy Tunic by Make it Perfect
Water Bottle Tote by Radiant Home Studio
Jorna Tank Dress by Jenna Brand
Staple Dress by April Rhodes
Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files

Plus, the bonus pattern, the Prefontaine Shorts for Women, if you choose a price of $28 or greater for Parcel #3 (and you should... check out these shorts!!!)!

Pattern Parcel #3

Check out all of the other amazing stuff sewn up as part of the Parcel #3 Inspiration Tour Schedule... check out the Jornas in particular.  I might have to steal Novita's idea for lengthened facings!

Friday, May 30 Sew Busy Lizzy || Pienkel || SeamstressErin

Saturday, May 31 Design By Lindsay || the Brodrick design studio || Cookin' and Craftin'

Sunday, June 1 Diary of a Chainstitcher || a happy stitch || Disaster in a Dress || sew Amy sew

'So, Zo... What do you know?'

Sunday, June 8 oonaballoona || A Stitching Odyssey || Sew Charleston

Monday, June 9 Sew Sweetness || True Bias || Ozzy Blackbeard

Tuesday, June 10 Welcome to the Mouse House || Sew Caroline || Adventures in Dressmaking

Wednesday, June 11 Peneloping || YoSaMi || sewVery

Thursday, June 12 la inglesita || La Pantigana || Sanae Ishida

Friday, June 13 Seamster Sewing Patterns || Paunnet

2 comments:

  1. I hate working with slippery knits, but your Jorna did turn out well. :) The one I made this week was with a Girl Charlee skull print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It turned out well in the end, but I was shaking my fist at that fabric, big time!

      Delete