In preparation for a few upcoming beach trips, I made myself a sunhat!
I had some waxed canvas leftover from my backpack project, and thought it might work well for a big sunhat since it's sturdy, shapeable and can handle a bit of moisture.
I've had the Elbe Textiles Serpentine Hat pattern in my stash for years and have been meaning to make it. I'm so glad I did! A very easy and satisfying project.
I used the waxed canvas from Stash for the exterior of the hat and some fish-themed batik quilting cotton for the interior, originally purchased as a "boneless bolt" from fabric liquidator Sew Snip. Since I have the whole bolt, you'll likely see more of this fabric!
For my Serpentine Hat, I measured my head, and fell between a size medium and size large. In ready-to-wear hats I'm almost always a large, so I sized up. That may have been a slight error; my Serpentine hat is a bit roomy. But still wearable!
I love that, in the waxed canvas, the hat is malleable and shapeable, so you can arrange the brim to suit your needs and it stays that way: floppy, Blossom-style, cowboy-hat style...
So happy with my new hat! It will be perfect for my upcoming beach vacations to keep the sun off my face.




