Sorry for the delay in posting! It's been a crazy week full of networking/job interviews, our shipment arriving from Indonesia, an epic Ikea adventure (complete with post-purchase assembly fun), etc.
I've got my sewing area mostly set up at our new apartment in Bangkok, but I quickly realized that I really needed covers for my sewing machine and serger if I want to leave them out and ready to use. I found the cat (who shall not be named... let's just say her name means "three" in Indonesian, and I'm pretty sure that's how many brain cells she has) had taken an interest in the thread from the serger, pulling it off the spool, dragging it across the apartment, wrapping it around the dining room table several times and once around the couch, creating a spiderweb of thread and driving me insane. So, for her health (don't want to see her innards all tangled in thread if she ingests some of it) and mine (I don't want to even think about having to re-thread the serger... I get a headache at the just the idea), covers.
I made these quick and dirty covers loosely based on some tutorials I found online, but without all of the bells and whistles (no handles, pockets, piping or binding). I basically cut a piece that goes up and over from back to front and sewed it to two rounded corner side pieces. Serged the bottom hem and ta-da! They're not masterpieces, but they get the job done (the job being keeping dust off the machines and the machines away from the cat).
The fabric is some cute striped denim that I picked up during the aforementioned Ikea adventure. Got plenty of it to make some jumpers for the nieces, too.