Friday, November 11, 2011

Crocheted Snowflakes

While Springfield and the whole U.S. East Coast was blanketed in (or battered by) snow over Halloween, I was sweating it up in Jakarta and Bali, nostalgically crocheting sparkly snowflakes.  


Loosely following this free pattern from Red Heart yarn, I used yarn I bought at the local craft shop, Sidar Snuggly Pearls (a thin white yarn laced with silvery threads).  I changed up the pattern in a couple ways:  I didn't connect the snowflakes into a garland, but kept them separate.  Also, the yarn I used was thinner than they yarn called for, so it stretched out the snowflakes a bit, as did the fact that I double crocheted instead of single crocheting.  I think it made them lacier and pretty.

4 comments:

  1. I thought you were joking the other day when you said you were crocheting snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. For serious. Gotta have something to decorate my palm tree with come Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I love those! I'm definitely going to give those a try. Also, i think i agree with your modifications - i like the lacier look of the double crochet!

    - Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like them, Molly! I felt a little nerdy making them, but they came out pretty cute. I may try the garland version next.

    ReplyDelete