Friday, March 7, 2014

Josephine Blouse: A Wearable Muslin

I didn't jump on Made by Rae's Josephine pattern when it first came out, but for some reason this past Sunday I couldn't get it out of my head. Later that afternoon: an impulse purchase, a download, some printing, cutting and taping, a quick sew and ta-da! 
A wearable muslin Josephine blouse by evening's end.


I used some polka dot mystery fabric that Martha gave me (you might remember it from this Maggie Mae top or the lining of the plaid patchwork dress I made Zoe).  I think it's vintage stuff from her stash.  It's quite sheer (hence the camisole in these pics), very soft, and if you turn the iron on too hot it melts a little.  As such, it doesn't press very well and my pleats are not as crisp as they could be, but the shirt is really comfy to wear. 


I am really digging this pattern... it's super simple and quick to put together, but the pleats make it look really polished and professional.  It would go well with a pencil skirt or cigarette pants for work, but it could also be worn with jeans.  I can imagine it in lots of fabrics... I've got a pretty piece of batik silk from Indonesia that has Josephine written all over it!  I think perhaps next time I might go with sleeves that are slightly less... um... pirate-y. Maybe the straight 3/4th length sleeves from the Painted Portrait tunic?  


My methodology consisted of following the directions for view B with the exception of a few areas:
  • I staystitched and sewed the binding on the neckline immediately after sewing the pleats and attaching the shoulders together (before sewing on the sleeves) because I didn't want the neckline to get distorted.  Also, I sewed the binding on the inside like a facing rather than have it show since I was using store-bought bias binding.
  •  I basted together the side seams and tried it on without the back elastic to see if I wanted to add that feature or not...  I wasn't sure it would look good with the sheer fabric and I didn't feel it needed more shaping, so I omitted it for this version. 
As an aside, the slightly pink hue in all my photos is due to this pretty sunset in the other direction:


6 comments:

  1. Meg, love this shirt!!! the style is great and it looks so good! another option for the sleeves you could consider is putting in button tabs to roll the sleeves up (does that make sense?). i have a sheer shirt like that and really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! Button tabs are a good idea- I will investigate further. I definitely think straighter sleeves of some variety would look good. Not sure the poof sleeve is really me.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good on you! I really love it in the sheer fabric with the camisole, actually. You may have convinced me to buy the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I think the pattern has a lot of potential in different fabrics and maybe with some other modifications... button down front, perhaps?

      Delete
  3. Yours looks great on you! I'm also addicted to the Plantain's so I'm happy to see you love them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Plantain is definitely one of my favorites these days... I may be addicted.

      Delete