Monday, August 25, 2014

Polka Dot Yaletown Blouse




Right off the bat when Sewaholic released the Yaletown dress and top, I was intrigued. I love wrap tops and dresses, but I wasn't 100% sold on the blousiness (blouseyness?) of the bodice portion. I wasn't sure it would be that flattering on me, but it sure looked nice on Tasia and on the subsequent Yaletowns I saw on the internet, including the navy one at Two Random Words and the brighter blue version at Sew Debbie!


Obviously, I decided to go ahead and get it anyway... treat yo self, right? I really liked the blouse version and thought, if it worked, it would be a great work blouse for pairing with a pencil skirt.
My hope was that this blouse would be a wearable muslin. The fabric is an inexpensive poly/cotton blend (I think!) with a nice drape. It's from a local store here in Bangkok and just a couple dollars a meter, so I figured I wouldn't be heartbroken if it didn't work out.


Size-wise, I went down a size from what my bust measurement indicated based on the finished garment size listed in the pattern as well as my experience with Sewaholic's Belcarra blouse, where I did the same. I only had 2 meters of fabric, though, so I skipped the self-fabric belt. I made the hem much smaller to keep the length: pressed up 1/4 inch and then 3/8 inch.


My verdict: I think this blouse has potential. I like the wrap-front and the comfy elastic waist a lot. But the blousiness, as I suspected, is a bit too much for me. The bodice seems to fit in the shoulders and across the bust and I think the skirt/lower part fits fine with my length adjustment. But... the amount of fabric between the waist and the bust is outta control! Maybe I need to shorten the bodice to take some of the blousiness out? I guess I am shortwaisted? It's extra baggy in the back, with the fabric hanging all the way over the waistline, but I think that may be exacerbated by a bit o'unaccounted-for sway back.


Also, on the open side of the wrap, there is enough room to store things such as large loaves of bread and small animals... see how it pooches out away from my body?:


I'm hoping the upcoming Yaletown sewalong at Sewaholic will elucidate how to deal with this issue so I can try sewing the pattern up again.  Any thoughts or advice from the peanut gallery?  Have you sewn up the Yaletown yet?  Are you planning on it?  In the meantime, I shall be keeping my left hand warm thusly:


Update!! I added buttons across the wrap to keep it shut and now I love my Yaletown (although I think if I make it again I will still try to take some of the blousiness out):


10 comments:

  1. Hehehe, handwarmers! I think going down a size was definitely a good call - I've been wondering/worrying about how flattering the amount of ease is, too! It's a whole lot of blousiness. Your polkadots look cute though - I hope you wear it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gillian! Yeah, going down a size is definitely advisable- the pattern has 4 inches of ease in the bust! One size down gave me more like 2 inches of ease. I am trying to decide whether it's worth unpicking the whole waistband seam to take out some of the poof from the middle part of the bodice to make it more wearable. I do like those polka dots...

      Delete
  2. Treat yo' self!! LOL I was wondering about this pattern and thinking it's too blouse-y for me too. I like the concept but was wondering how it might look on more busty girls. Sizing down would probably help but sounds like a ton of built in ease - maybe a couple sizes smaller for the front and one size smaller for the back? The fabric is cute and it does look good with the pencil skirt and belt. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha- glad you got my reference! Yeah, I gotta take another stab at fixing this- so much potential!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this post came just at the right time...coz my Yaletown dropped through the mailbox today. Your polka dots are awesome. I do hope you have the patience to go back & adjust it coz it would be a shame not to wear this little beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I think it's worth some unpicking to get it right... I really think it might just be a bodice length issue.

      Delete
  4. Pin a fold line around and try it on to check the effect of shortening the bodice. It might be all that's needed, or you might need to also take out some width.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Carol! That's what I was thinking, too.

      Delete
  5. This is gorgeous! And I agree, there's the perfect amount of room to fit a small dog! I tried mine on again last week and was surprised at the amount of blousiness it still had, particularly with the less-than-full skirt. Next time I might remove a fair bit more length to try and tone it down a bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophie-Lee! Update: I ended up putting a row of buttons across the wrap to eliminate the gaping and making it wearable. It actually worked pretty well and I love the blouse! But it's definitely still blousey, so I will try taking out length next time I make the pattern.

      Delete