Sunday, February 15, 2015

Colorblocked Wenona Shirt

Alrighty, folks. I'm back! I've actually been doing lots of unselfish sewing of late, but haven't blogged about those makes because I have to send the final products around the world to the recipients and then wait for photos in return. So, coming soon(ish) on those.

But in the meantime, my most recent make is for myself. And I've got mixed things to say about it. 



This is the Wenona shirt by Named. I was somewhat intrigued by the pattern when it first came out, but sold on it when I saw this beautiful version on the Stitch 56 blog and then the cute colorblocked gingham sample on Indiesew.


Let's say the good things first: I love the detail that make this buttondown stand out from the pack.

- I think the sleeve stripes are a really cool feature. They require some interesting construction that means you don't have to set in the sleeves- hooray!

- Opportunities for colorblocking abound. Here I went with a fabric combo I have used before for my BHL Polly tank: some pretty green shirting combined with a Belleboo cotton print for the accents.

- I also love the cute pointed and buttoned collar detail, as well as the slightly angled back yoke:


And my dislikes: let's be honest... this thing is less shirt than shent.

What is a shent, you may ask? Ina shall explain:


What I mean by "shent" is that the style is quite oversized and has no shaping whatsoever- no bust darts, no waist shaping. The shirt's side seams literally go straight down from armpits.

I always want those simple boxy shirts to work for me, but rather than looking laid back and casual, I look like Ina (bless her heart). Look at all that excess fabric in the back!:


I may try to fix this shirt a bit by taking it in at the waist. Not sure how that will go...


For future shirts: I may consider going down a size or two on the top (although I think I would have to keep this size at the hips). Alternatively, I wonder if there is a way I could combine the cool details from Wenona (sleeve stripes, funky shaped yoke and collar) with a buttondown pattern that has more waist and bust shaping. Maybe I'll experiment a bit...


One final note: what am I doing with my hands here?!?:
#soawkwardinfrontofthecamera

15 comments:

  1. I feel your pain about shapeless shirts! And I notice that in both the examples you posted, the shirt is long and worn belted in the middle--it obviously needs that help at the waist. Could you scoop in the sides at the waist to add a little definition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dress version of this pattern has slightly more shape than the shirt, but definitely the belt helped. I am definitely going to try shaping the waist a bit, and maybe take some width out of the sleeves, too! Shapeless shirt is not doing me any favors!

      Delete
  2. A shent....absolutely funny! Laughing so hard...
    I can't even comment on the shirt. It's awesome but I can see your shenty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha- glad you thought it was funny, too! I didn't really realize what was happening until I looked at the photos... I said to my husband "Omg, I made an Ina Garten shent!"

      Delete
  3. I love the colors and I would totally wear the heck out of a shent. But I understand it is not super flattering. Still cute, though. Not everything has to be super fitted! It looks like you did a great job with the constructions and details, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helena! Yeah, I hope some small tweaks will make it look a little better. On the plus side: it is pretty comfy!

      Delete
  4. I also wish I could pull off that over-sized shirt look, but I need my tops to be more fitted so I don't feel like I'm swimming! Do you have a better fitting shirt that you can change to have the collar and sleeves from this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think I will try to lay another shirt over this one to see if I can salvage it...

      Delete
  5. I love the colour and the fabric choices!! Also the colour blocking is awesome! I agree - I think it needs a bit more shaping. I'm sure you could just curve the side seams of this one, and you could always add a bust dart for future versions. It's such a cool shirt, it would be a shame for it to just hang in your closet. I have this pattern too (along with the Tyler shirt), but haven't made it up yet. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather, I am digging the color, too. I will definitely do some surgery on this bad boy to make it wearable!

      Delete
  6. I've been intrigued by this pattern for awhile, but haven't taken the plunge. Since I'm short and busty, I frequently encounter the "shent" effect (great description, by the way) in woven button down style shirts.
    In spite of your reservations, I think this looks quite nice on you --- plus that green color is super yummy! Nice shirt :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Ginny- I love the color, too. I'm hoping this is still salvageable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! The "shent" cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) I can't claim credit for the term, and yet it was quite fitting (har har) for this shirt!

      Delete