Saturday, August 6, 2016

Block Print Georgia Top

Block printed and color blocked...


This is the Georgia Top from new-to-me pattern company, Designer Stitch. Ann from Designer Stitch reached out to me to offer me some of her patterns to try out. Being the pattern junkie that I am, always curious about new designers, I happily accepted. 


The Georgia Top and Dress is described as offering "a mix of fabrics and choices with its contrast
yoke and sleeve design. The front yoke can be made in mesh and/or lace – the sleeves in linen, cotton or pleather. With an alternate back panel consisting of a back yoke and an optional centre back pleat the Georgia offers many possibilities as either a dress and/or top."


I love simple, boxy tops, especially with options for mixing and matching fabrics, so Georgia was a no-brainer for me. I opted for the top with the pleated back with the contrasting yoke on both sides. 


I was pretty delighted to see that the Designer Stitch patterns go up through a size 26. Hooray for inclusive sizing! I went with a 16 at the bust, 18 at the hip.


The fabric is a super lightweight and fairly loosely woven cotton- almost a gauze. I had two coordinating pieces that I bought at a shop on Arab Street in Singapore last year and I had always planned to put them together in a garment. I figured the Georgia's contrasting yoke was the perfect use of this fabric! 


It may look like I cut the top off-grain because the design veers off at an angle, but I swear it's on-grain. It's just that this fabric is Indian block printed cotton and the design itself is not completely straight. It's got a few flaws, too, but I like that about it. Handmade goodness.


I had a leftover piece of black piping in my stash that was exactly the length I needed to highlight the seam between the yoke and the bodice. This helped create a crisper line between the two fabrics. Part of me wishes I had piped the neckline and cuffs, but I also know that would have stiffened them up too much.


I'm really happy with my Georgia top! It's a loose-fitting, swingy top, but there's just enough fit at the bust to keep it flattering. The instructions are thorough, the pattern went together easily... good stuff! I made mine very casual, but I think you could get quite fancy with the Georgia top. On the Designer Stitch website I saw versions with lace, mesh and eyelet yokes, pompom trim highlighting the yoke seam. Lots of possibilities.


I'm looking forward to seeing what Ann at Designer Stitch comes out with next. She seems to be testing and publishing patterns at an astonishing rate, but I understand that many of them were patterns she had already developed and used as part of her sewing and pattern making classes. I've also got a review of her Jenny dress coming on Wednesday at the Curvy Sewing Collective, so look out for that.

Have you tried a Designer Stitch pattern? What did you think?


30 comments:

  1. This is very pretty! These fabrics are really nice together.
    I tried one of DS patterns and it did not work out for me. Maybe I'll have to try something less structured like the Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie!! Oh, that stinks that the DS pattern you tried didn't work. This one is pretty forgiving, fit wise...

      Delete
    2. Hi Annie - weren't you part of the Alyse Slim pants tester group?? All the finished pants were absolutely fantastic and suited all body types - it was a shame you didnt complete the pants - they too would have looked great on you. ��

      Delete
    3. Hi Annie. I have just checked my sales data and don't have a record of your pattern purchase. I would love to sort you out so please email me via the addy detailed in the pattern itself. I am sure I can help you with any questions. Cheerio. Ann at DesignerStitch

      Delete
  2. Love your top. Can't wait to see your review of the Jenny dress... Both patterns are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen!! Jenny dress review coming soon...

      Delete
  3. Really cute Meg, I love the color! You're right...this pattern has lots of potential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Margo! I love this color, too!

      Delete
  4. Love the Georgia top, looks great. Designer Stitch patterns are easy for me to work with. Your top has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your top and I'm looking forward to the Jenny review as I have my eye on that pattern. I finished the Georgia dress yesterday, but made it all in one colour to emphasise the shape. All cut out and sewed in a few hours, great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! I agree- Georgia is a quick and satisfying pattern!

      Delete
  6. Such a great fabric combo. I was going to ask if it was a border print. No, just excellent pattern matching! I hadn't heard of this company before, and after seeing the Jenny dress, I'm a little bummed that I fall out of the size range in the bust. That usually means I have to do a lot of annoying grading down. Ah, why we all pattern hack. I think Named has a similar style, though I'm blanking on the name of that pattern at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth!

      Oh, sorry to hear you're outside the size range for the Jenny... this happens to me a lot, but on the other end of the spectrum ;-)

      I think the Jenny pattern is much more fitted than the Named Kielo, if that's the pattern you're thinking of. More like a sheath dress with wraps attached on top, coming out of the side seams. I've got the Kielo on my list, too!

      Delete
    2. Yes, Kielo was the one. I'd still have to fiddle with that since it's floor length, and I'm a perpetual knee length range wearer. I pinned this cool apron style ages ago: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/193021534006194109/ that I think is about 100% of what I'm looking for in that kind of style.

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the fabrics, a match made in heaven and they look amazing as this top, I will check out the pattern as I can't find a top that catches my fancy but really like this, I just need some matching fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynsey! This is a great simple top that would look pretty cool in lots of different fabrics. I lucked out because I am pretty sure these two fabrics were literally made to be put together ;-)

      Delete
  8. You always make the best tops! I love the colours in this one - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the top and can't wait to make one myself. I really enjoy your blog and get inspiration from your pieces. Your hair is really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these colours!
    Mary in Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such lovely fabric! I like the combination of prints you used here - interesting but the color similarity means it's not too busy. Cute pattern! I had not heard of Designer Stitch until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! I can't take credit for the fabric combo- I think they were literally made to be used together.

      Delete
  12. Hi Meg, I love the top and the fabrics you used! You have a such great sense of style! Can you please tell me what kind of skinny jeans you are wearing? Did you make them, or could you tell me where you purchased them? I never can find jeans that fit me right. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Hmmm, this pair of jeans is not me-made. I think I got them on clearance at Ann Taylor Loft a few years back... $10! They were labeled as "high waist skinny curvy ankle," which is a lot of adjectives. They're not bad, although the back pockets are a little bit high.

      Delete
  13. I really like this and the dress you made with the front ties which was also by the same designer - I wanted to comment there but for some reason couldn't find how to comment:). I had had the same issue when /i made the Colette Laurel first in a fine cotton with some give to it, and then in a Liberty poplin - even though it was lovely and find, it had no give and the fit was less comfy..... I think for fitted dresses one needs to test the crosswise give - and if it's good, then you can use it, otherwise go for a teeny bit of stretch. Nonetheless the dress looked absolutely stunning on you.

    ReplyDelete