Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Double Knit Concord T-shirt Dress

Seasonally inappropriate sewing alert!

I've got a long sleeved double knit t-shirt dress for you on this hot, hot midsummer day... I was absolutely melting when taking these photos (hence the sunglasses and wet hair!) but I am in love with my new dress!


When I saw this fabulous NY designer double knit at Fabric Mart, I knew I had to make it mine, whether it was appropriate for the current weather or not. The good thing about living in Vermont is that it may be 100 degrees today, but a week from today it could be 50 degrees... and, as always, winter is coming.


This fabric is amazing: it's a nice, thick cotton/poly/lycra blend with fabulous recovery and a cool three-dimensional texture. It doesn't have that icky feeling that double knits can sometimes have; I think the cotton content helps on that front. I love the abstract geometric print in black, white and navy blue, too. It reminds me a bit of an evil eye


When I got this fabric, all I could think of was recreating the Cashmerette Concord t-shirt dress that I made last winter. That dress was a personal favorite of mine and I knew this double knit would work perfectly with the Concord pattern.


I made the same alterations to the Concord pattern that I did for my last dress version - size 16 C/D lengthened 16 inches and a 1” full bicep adjustment with added 3.25” to the sleeve length. This one turned out more snug than my last one. I can't tell if it's because I gained weight or because the fabric has better recovery? It's not a deal breaker, though. I think it still looks great! It's form fitting, but not tight. Sleek and easy to wear.


I'm so in love with my double knit Concord dress!  I paired it with sandals here, because, like I said, it's 100 degrees here, but I'll likely wear it with tights and boots come fall and winter.


Lucky for me, as a result of careful cutting, I have a bit of this fabulous double knit left... I think it will be perfect for a Sew House Seven Toaster Sweater #2... expect one from me as soon as my sewing room cools down enough for me to re-enter! Thanks for the lovely fabric, Fabric Mart!