Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Handwoven Donovan Skirt

Another day, another skirt... I've made an unusually large number of skirts this summer for some reason!




This is the Donovan Skirt, one of the latest patterns from Helen's Closet


The Donovan Skirt is a super simple sewing pattern designed for beginners. It's an elastic waist skirt with roomy pockets, an optional drawstring, and two lengths: a midi-length with side slits and an above-the-knee length.

I cut the midi length Donovan with slits in a size 18, which seemed to work well, fit-wise.


The fabric I chose for my Donovan is a handwoven fabric I purchased in Yogyakarta, Indonesia several years back on a trip with my mom. It's got these thin, colorful stripes, and I love it.


The only problem with this fabric is that I think it might be ever-so-slightly too thick and stiff for this pattern. I've liked the versions of the Donovan skirt that I've seen made from really drapey fabrics that have some rayon or tencel content. This 100% cotton fabric just doesn't have that nice heavy drape I was looking for, unfortunately. 



The Donovan skirt pattern is so simple, so I decided to play with stripe direction on the pockets and waistband for a bit of interest. It's subtle, though.


I like my Donovan skirt, but will definitely make it with a fabric with more drape next time for a less boxy feel.