Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Testing, testing: Muna and Broad Sculthorpe Pant

So excited to share my tester version of the latest from Muna and Broad, the Sculthorpe Pants!


I was a tester for this pattern, so I received the pattern and a stipend for fabric and notions from Muna and Broad


The Sculthorpe Pants are ankle length tapered pants with an elastic waist. They have side panels that feature a V-shaped pocket, a generous rise, and ample room through the crotch to accommodate large bodies. 


Like all Muna and Broad patterns, the Sculthorpe Pants cover hip sizes 46.5 - 71.5 inches.

Did you know Muna and Broad will also grade any their patterns up for you if their current size range doesn't cover your needs. How's that for service?! Other makers can "pay-it-forward" and add a couple bucks to their order to support Muna and Broad in this radical inclusivity.


For my Sculthorpe Pants, I went with size iii, the smallest size. I was really happy with the fit of my Glebe pants, so I made the same size here, which corresponded with my measurements on the Muna and Broad size chart.

Check out the tester round-up on the Muna and Broad blog to see the Sculthorpes in more sizes!


This pair of Sculthorpe Pants ended up a little bit more cropped than intended because of an error during testing (which has since been fixed, of course), but the cropped look is cute for summer, methinks! 


My fabric is a linen, I believe, with a strong twill weave. I purchased it at my favorite shop when I lived in Bangkok. It wrinkles when you look at it wrong, which you can see from the photos. Here I had a) put the freshly ironed pants on and b) walked downstairs. And yet they look like I've been wearing them all day!


I am pretty in love with the fit on these Sculthorpe Pants! Great crotch fit, lovely taper. 


And those pockets! The V-shape is really cool and the pockets are big, but not too big.


The paneled, topstitched legs provide a bit of nice detail. I could see making these with cool contrasting topstitching at some point to highlight those panel seams.


These Sculthorpe Pants are pretty fabulous. Cool, minimalist Elizabeth Suzanne Clyde pants vibes, but in a self-sewn, plus-size kind of way. I've already made a second pair!