Thursday, July 2, 2020

Caftans and Cocktails: Seamwork Micah Caftan

Another day, another caftan! Perfect for Caftans and Cocktails!


Switching things up from my recent caftan projects (here and here), which were both in bright, printed rayon challis, this latest caftan is in an earthy green linen.


"Say, Meg, don't you already have an olive green linen boxy v-neck dress with hem and neck facings and cut-on sleeves?," you might be asking. Well, yes, yes I do. But one can never have too many...


The fabric is Birch organic linen from my local shop, Notion Fabric and Craft. It was an early quarantine purchase, trying to better support local businesses. I washed it and then let it sit wrinkly for several months next to my ironing board since my work picked up significantly, hence the permanent wrinkly look.


The pattern is the latest from Seamwork, the Micah. Micah is a midi-length, caftan-inspired dress with a deep v-neckline, seams at the center front and back, a faced split hem, and cut-on sleeves.


Note: I am a Seamwork Ambassador, which means I received a one-year subscription in exchange for sewing up 10 of their patterns and providing some feedback to Seamwork about their patterns, articles, etc. If you use this link, you can get a little discount if you decide to purchase from Seamwork.


My Micah is a straight size 16, with no alterations. Good fit! Not incredibly roomy, but loose enough to keep cool.


The only construction change I made was to topstitch the neck facing down, just because I know I would hate ironing it back into place after washing. Plus the neck facing topstitching mirrors the stitching on the hem facings, which pleases me.


Speaking of that V-neck... they weren't kidding in the description. This is a deeeeeeep V-neck. I like the look of it, but it can be slightly revealing.


(Yes, I use rainbow serger thread on practically everything; I love it!)

Seamwork's instructions link you to a tutorial for bra strap carriers at the shoulders, but the issue for me wasn't the straps at the shoulders, but rather my bra bridge peeking out at the bottom of the V-neck. So, to remedy that, I put a bra carrier at that spot, at the bottom of the V-neck, attached to my neck facing. It just helps keep the V from dropping lower and keeps the dress flush with my chest.


I love my Micah! Simple, but cute and comfy. I'll definitely get a lot of wear out of this!