Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Birthday Suit


  A little birthday suit birthday gift for my sister. Fancy PJs!

My sister had her heart set on a cozy pajama set for her birthday, and I was happy to oblige.

I've had the Carolyn Pajamas pattern from Closet Core Patterns in my stash for years now. I made this pattern for myself several years ago.

For my sister's Carolyn Pajamas, I cut size 10 at the bust graded to a 12 at the hip for the top, and a size 12 for the bottoms. 

I chose a fabric from my stash. It's a super soft cotton double gauze, purchased years ago in Bangkok at Cotton House

It's striped, but the stripes are so small I made the executive decision not to try to mess with stripe matching much except across the center front. Double gauze is too shifty!

Cute turquoise buttons to finish it off.


I made a few modifications to the pattern just because of my personal construction preferences: 

I skipped the faux fly on the pants. I don't understand the point of it and think having to clip into the crotch for the faux fly weakens the crotch seam. 


I sewed the pockets in single layer, meaning they're sewn to the front leg. I like how the pockets don't bunch up in the laundry this way, and find it smoother on the legs! I finished the edge of the pocket with bias tape a la this tutorial I wrote back in the day

Finally, I added a back neck facing to simplify the construction at the collar/neck. I just connected the back neck facing to the front facing and then sandwiched the collar in between the facing combo and the main bodice. 


I think they look pretty cute on her!