Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Wren Fleece

I made this cozy sweater a few months ago and have lots of wear out of it since!

This is the Daughter Judy Wren Fleece pattern. 


The Wren Fleece is an oversized crewneck sweatshirt with a large, exaggerated circular yoke and voluminous, slightly cropped sleeves with a deep box pleat that end in a cuff. 


For my Wren Fleece I cut a size 2X from the JJ range (read more about the Daughter Judy size ranges here), which worked out well. It's oversized, but as it's meant to be. 


The fabric I used is a marled black and white heavyweight cotton knit that I had purchased in Bangkok years ago. I had bought this fabric by the kilo and had a bunch of it to use up. 

I also used this fabric for a Toaster Sweater for myself a couple years back and a Toaster Sweater for my mom a squillion years ago. The remaining piece was the perfect size/amount for the Wren Fleece.


The fabric is pretty hefty/stable, which I think worked well for the Wren Fleece. However, I think I could have gone even heftier with my fabric choice; something less drapey to show off the style lines. 


Stacey from The Crooked Hem did a really excellent comparison of the Wren Fleece pattern made in different weight knits. I love her heavyweight cotton fleece Wren best.


I'm also finding the neckband to be a little floppy/wide. Next time I might narrow it slightly. 

I'm pretty delighted with my Wren Fleece! Very cool style lines and fun to sew.