Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cheddar and Veggie Pinwheels

Tim and I had some trouble with our propane range today- we were sitting around watching the Olympics and suddenly smelled gas (and I realized why I had such a bad headache).  The tank seemed to be leaking- we think maybe rubber ring that seals the tank to the tubing was worn.  We'll be looking into that tomorrow, for certain, but in the meantime we just turned it off and opened all the windows (thus letting in mosquitoes since we don't have any screens...sigh).


In the interim, I tried to figure out something for dinner that didn't require the stovetop... I settled on a recipe loosely based on these broccoli and cheddar pinwheels.  I had pizza dough in the freezer and a ton of veggies and cheddar in the fridge, but I wanted to add more flavor to the recipe by roasting the veggies with garlic and red pepper flakes instead of steaming it.  

Here's what I did:

- Mince 2 cloves of garlic 
- Finely chop about 3 cups of veggies (in my case I used broccoli, cauliflower and carrot)
- Mix veggies and garlic with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, some salt and pepper, and a couple shakes of red pepper flakes.
- Spread it out onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or so at high heat (about 400F), until starting to brown on the edges; cool
- Shred 1.5-2 cups of cheddar cheese
- Mix cheddar, veggies, 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- Roll out 1 lb of pizza dough (I used this recipe from Martha Stewart) into a large thin rectangle
- Spread veggie and cheese mixture onto 3/4 of the dough, then tightly roll into a long tube
- Cut the tube into pinwheels
- Put the pinwheels on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes

Pretty tasty!