Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Mimi Blouse in Lawn



After my raging success with the Megan dress pattern from Tilly's Love at First Stitch book, I've been yearning to make another pattern from the book. I wear that dress at least once a week... I adore it!



My second make from the book was the Mimi blouse... I love Tilly's versions in the book.  Cute gathering at the yoke, nice neckline.


I made my Mimi from some cute floral cotton lawn from the Imagine Gnats shop... lovely to work with: light and airy without being sheer.


Looking at the finished garment measurements, I decided to go down a size. However, that seemed to make the armscyes a bit small, so I ended up sewing the sleeves and side seams with a 1/4 inch seam allowance so my armpits could breathe a bit. Also, I found the sleeves to be too snug on my guns with the cute pleat, so I ended up cutting the bottom straight across and then hemming them up 1/2 inch.


My verdict: although I think Tilly's version of the Mimi blouse is adorable, I'm not sure this particular version is for me. It's just not quite my style, maybe? I can't tell if it's the pattern or the ditsy-print fabric or both, but I'm not totally sold on it. I think I always want to look/feel good in vintage style clothes, but I don't really think it's my thing. I'll give it a couple more wears, though, before making my final determination... I definitely don't think it's a bad shirt, by any means.


Thoughts on wearing vintage-y clothing? Is it for you?
How about accidentally making something that's not your style? Am I the only one?