Sunday, November 9, 2014

Modified Marbella


I stumbled upon the Marbella dress and loved it immediately. Something about the boat neck, the yoke and the pleats drew me to it- very classy looking! Check out all the Marbella dresses on the Marbella blog tour... lovely!



Marbella is the first pattern from a new designer, Itch to Stitch. I like that the pattern has different cup sizes to help with the fit- pretty cool!  I found the PDF pattern a bit different that normal in how you piece it together- the pieces were not numbered how I expected. Also, sometimes I had a little bit of trouble figuring out which notch went with each size, but not the end of the world.  The instructions were pretty great, I think, with steps for full lining and just a yoke lining included.


I made a couple changes to the pattern: 1) I lengthened the skirt by two inches and 2) I ended up using the front skirt as the back skirt, also. I found the back of the skirt to be a bit, ahem, snug, even though there was plenty of room in the front, so I decided to mirror the tulip-style/pleated front in the back. I used the front pattern piece, but didn't cut it on the fold. I added a bit of seam allowance to the zip area like there was in the original back skirt. I had to mess with the back pleats a little bit to get them to line up with the back bodice darts, but it worked out pretty well and gave me the extra room I needed. I kinda like the symmetry of it, too.


For some reason I had a lot of trouble with the princess seams. I sewed them two or three times, but never got them as smooth as I wanted. Not sure if it was user error, but it's a bit ripply in the chestal region. Sigh.


Also, this may be because I had to rip the skirt off after I sewed it on with the original back piece, or it might just be the fit of the dress, but I found the waist to be a bit loose, which makes me look a bit boxy.  It might be that I just stretched it out, but it might be that I need to grade down a size in the waist.

To sum up: while it's not perfect, I still think it's a very wearable dress and has lots of potential. I particularly like it with a blazer for work... good stuff!


Ug, need my photographer to get back into town!

8 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this dress a few weeks now. I really like this style too. Your version looks good on you, the fabric is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! I especially like it with the belt and blazer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! I imagine that's how I'll wear it for work!

      Delete
  3. I just won the Marbella from Sewmanju and am thinking of sewing it in to an LBD. I am going to have to grade because I am bigger than the pattern goes, but I like the ideas you employed here, and will probably do the same. Really a cute dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I think my changes to the skirt ended up working out pretty well. The straight skirt in the back just wasn't made for my junk in the trunk! Can't wait to see your Marbella!

      Delete