Sunday, November 2, 2014

Oil Spill True Bias Sutton Blouse


Confession: I've been kind of a pattern junkie of late. I try to have self-control, knowing that my sewing list is a bit out of control, but after a bad day at working, the instant gratification of PDF pattern buying is so satisfying. I have a feeling I am not the only one in this situation...



A couple of my recent pattern purchases have required more fitting than I currently have the patience for. Not that they're bad patterns, they just require a level of effort that I haven't been able to muster, of late, so I am setting them aside temporarily in favor of what I hoped would be a quick win: the brand new Sutton Blouse pattern by True Bias (which I totally bought the day it came out).


And quick win it was! I was skeptical as I put it together, worried that I'd committed to a pattern that would be too boxy for me. But in the end, I love the blouse. The lovely v-neck, interesting hem, cool over-the-shoulder yoke and pretty back pleat keep it interesting. Combined with the right drapey fabric, it's pretty floaty and flattering.


For my Sutton, I used a cool splotchy, oil spill-esque printed rayon challis that I bought from Fashion Fabrics Club. Dudes, this store has lots of great challis: some crazy novelty prints, but lots of fun, funky prints and pretty solids, too. And super cheap! Clearly I love me some rayon challis...


Sewing with rayon and other slippery fabrics can be tricky. I had a teeny bit of trouble with the neckline binding- it was hard to cut out that skinny strip of fabric evenly! My sleeves seems slightly stretched out/wavy, too, but not in a way that bothers me too much. Otherwise, it was pretty smooth sailing. I like how the pattern uses french seams; everything on the inside is so neat and self-contained.

I think the blouse is best balanced when paired with a skirt or pants that are a bit sleeker- a pencil skirt or skinny pants.  I think it's a great blouse that could be more formal for the office or a drink, but also great on the weekend with skinny jeans (or leggings, if that's your thing).


(PS: sorry for all the crap photos... my photographer is out of the country and my camera hates me.)

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely print on a top that looks great on you! I hear you about the instant gratification of PDF patterns... I found myself purchasing three the other day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Glad I am not the only one with. PDF buying problem/habit!

      Delete
  2. This looks so great Meg! I was skeptical about how it would look on my shape too, but I was pleasantly surprised at how flattering it is. I have actually already made 3, I just haven't blogged about them yet (bad blogger) and I find them all really easy to wear. Yours looks fantastic with your pencil skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three already? You are a sewing machine, Heather!

      Delete
  3. I have an over-run of patterns as well. I get such great deals on patterns at my local sewing store and then I live near two thrift shoppes where I can get patterns for 50 cents! How to say no? But, it's the sewing of them that is proving to be more of the challenge. :) This pattern is lovely, looks great on you. I've actually not heard about it before, so look forward to popping by and checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- hard to say no when patterns are so cheap! He'll, I even find it hard to say no when they're not!

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate to the pattern buying frenzy. One day I counted all the patterns I had bought and I had over 100! I think at that stage I had used about 5. So I've tried to hold off buying more patterns since. It's very hard with great new patterns coming out all the time and seeing the amazing things bloggers make using patterns I don't have, but I'm trying...very hard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my numbers are probably similar! It may be time to slow down my pattern purchases...

      Delete