Sunday, December 21, 2014

Thread Theory Camas Blouse in Mod Flowers


I snapped up the Camas blouse, the newest pattern from Thread Theory (and their first pattern for women!), right when it came out. I've enjoyed working with their other patterns and thought the style of the blouse was really flattering, too. Also: I am a pattern junkie. Welp... Merry Christmas to me!



The final product, though, dudes. I love it. Slinky, swingy jersey top that can go casual or work-y? Yes, please. So comfortable, and yet kinda sexy due to the neckline.


Fabric: I used some fairly stable black cotton jersey (also used for my Moneta) for the yokes and button placket, combined with this super slinky, slippery jersey with mod flowers I bought eons ago at Girl Charlee for the bodice and sleeves. I bought the mod flower jersey a) because it was on super sale at the time and b) it reminded me of the logo of my former employer. It's quite soft and drapey, but quite a bitch to cut.



My sewing notes:

- I love how the instructions include a way to sew a clean finish, lined yoke (which is what I did). But you could totally do a one layer yoke, too, no problem, to save fabric and time, if you're not opposed to seeing seams on the inside.
- I didn't use interfacing because my black jersey was pretty stable.
- I skipped sewing the buttonholes and just sewed my buttons on through both plackets. The shirt easily pulls over my head.
- Speaking of plackets, I had trouble with the instructions on sewing the placket, but muddled through in my own way.
- Also troublesome: my hems. The jersey was a wily one. So slippery and thin that I could not get my trusty twin needle to work. I ended up using a long straight stitch.


My verdict: methinks I love this pattern. Cute, comfy... love the gathers and the neckline and the flowy back. I'm curious to try it with a mix of stretch fabrics and flowy non-stretch fabrics- so many potential combinations!


And a final Christmas gif(t) for you: