Thursday, December 17, 2015

Lace Print Gallery Tunic


The sewing blog and indie sewing pattern worlds have been abuzz with tons of new tunic patterns lately (see Hey June Cheyenne, Itch to Stitch Mila, etc). While I have been tempted by and have even succumbed to that new pattern buzz, before I jumped into sewing those newer patterns, I wanted sew up a tunic pattern that's been in my stash for a bit longer.


This is the Liesl + Co. Gallery Tunic, a simple and casual but still elegant tunic with a curved hem, front and back pleats and cuffed sleeves.


I was so happy with how this tunic turned out that I put my final stitch in it at 8:30 am and immediately wore it to a meeting at 10 am that day! 


Now I am imagining the Gallery Tunic in all the fabrics: plaids and checks and solids and florals, rayon challis and double gauze and linen... Maybe the dress version, too, which I imagine would be delightfully flowy and airy in Bangkok's heat.


Here are my construction details:

Based on the final bust measurement provided, as well as the final hip measurements I took from the pattern itself, I decided to go down a size to 14, although my measurements put me at a 16 for the bust and in between 16 and 18 for my hips. 


The pattern is pretty loose fitting and forgiving. For those in need of an FBA (I might consider a smallish one for myself next time), the pattern instructions provide detailed steps on how to do this, which is helpful. Next time I might also let out the seam slightly at the biceps for a quicky/cheater full bicep adjustment, as they are a teeny bit tight, although totally wearable.


I love the interesting one-piece collar and stand combination, which was super easy to put together and resulted in a nice, crisp collar.


While taking this photo below I thought to myself, "This pose will certainly show off the lovely collar! Great thinking, Meg!" Hence the smug face. Clearly, however, this pose does no such thing. In fact, it does the opposite.:


The front placket method is foolproof. It forms the little front pleat as you pull the placket together. A very neat and professional finish.


The fabric I used is a black and white lace print cotton lawn from my favorite local supplier, Belleboo. I cut the tunic on the cross-grain because the "stripes" in the lace ran parallel to the selvage. It seems weird to have them run vertically on the tunic, so I threw caution to the wind and cut in the other direction.

I like the floaty lawn with this pattern, although I bet something with more drape, like rayon challis, would be even better.


Have you made the Gallery Tunic? Are you a tunic person or do you eschew those garments that are neither top nor dress, but something in between? Have you bought or made any of the other recently released tunic patterns?

19 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I would definitely put myself in the category of "tunic person", as long as said tunic isn't a tent. I did purchase the Itch-to-Stitch Mila tunic and hope to make it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- non-tent tunics all the way! I bought Mila, too. Perhaps that should be one of our CSC one pattern/two bodies posts?

      Delete
  2. This is lovely! I caved and bought the Cheyenne Tunic because I've been dying to make something with a half placket (but I'm too lazy to hack it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! Can't wait to see your Cheyenne Tunic (although I imagine it might have to wait until after baby comes!)

      Delete
  3. This is really nice. It is very flattering on you and looks easy to wear. I have been intrigued by this pattern since it came out (I love a good tunic) but have been scared away by what appears to be a lack of bust darts. Are there any? I don't know how it would work on me but once again I want to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! Nope, no darts on this one...

      Delete
  4. So great! This pattern has been in my stash for a while too! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! You should make one- it would look great on you!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever made a tunic, so no... but I like this one on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gillian: Not a Tunic Person ;-) I haven't made many tunics, but maybe I am a convert now.

      Delete
  6. I love this! I really want a popover type shirt and this sounds like a good one. That fabric is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I like this pattern, but definitely have my eye on other popovers with buttons, etc., too. Although I supposed you could easily add buttons to this one if you wanted.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely lovely! The fabric is pretty and it looks fabulous on you! HOWEVER, I'm totally intimidated by the collar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! Don't be intimidated by collars-- they're not that bad! This one is especially easy since it's a one-piece collar and stand. And the instructions are quite foolproof, too.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely lovely! The fabric is pretty and it looks fabulous on you! HOWEVER, I'm totally intimidated by the collar...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very stylish indeed! Not really a tunic girl for myself but this is lovely. Liesl and co draft beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, they do draft beautifully. This reminds me that I need to get around to making some of the other Liesl + Co patterns in my stash!!

      Delete
  10. I love this tunic so much! I bought this pattern recently and I am hoping to get to it in January. I was a tester for the Cheyenne tunic but ended up cutting mine to shirt length. I made it from flannel and the tunic ended up feeling nightgown-ish. I am hoping that I will not feel that way about this top. Yours looks so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! I think it'll look great on you! I was thinking the Gallery Tunic would make a great shirt, too, if you cut straight across at the hip, above the line where the curved hems meet. I may give it a try.

      Delete