Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Pindot Sylvie


Spurred on by #bpsewvember's UFO prompt, I finished my long-neglected Sylvie dress! Thanks for the push, Amanda!


This baby, the Christine Haynes Sylvie dress, has been languishing in my sewing area for months, making me feel guilty, so I am thrilled to have it finished. I'm also pretty happy with how it turned out! Bonus: now I have nice summery sundress for my Christmas in Melbourne. Yaaaasssss!


I sewed up View B with the pencil-esque skirt. I love the darts on this pattern, although I will say, there are a lot of them! 

6 bust darts + 8 skirt darts + 2 back bodice darts = 16! Whoa.They sew up quickly, though.


I was treating this version as a wearable muslin of sorts, using some inexpensive cotton blend of some sort that I bought locally. I liked the color and little pindots. In retrospect, it might be kind of a high maintenance fabric choice as it wrinkles really easily and resists a pressing, as you can see:


When I basted the dress together to check the fit, I had some extra fabric at the center back above the waistband, so I did a small swayback adjustment on the back bodice (I think it was about 1" from the center, taping to nothing at the side seams). Since it was so long ago that I cut this out and I am too lazy to dig out my pattern, I can't quite remember what size I chose. Based on the size chart, I probably went with a 14 on top and 16 on bottom.


I think perhaps I could use a small FBA for the next one, as it fees a bit tight across the bust.

I wanted to move the zipper to the side seam because I find them easier to zip up there. Plus, that way my arm hides my crappy zipper insertion. I kinda suck at zippers. But the back seam is curved and I wasn't sure how to deal with that in order to eliminate that seam, so I just kept the zipper in the back as is. The reason this dress was a UFO for so long is because I broke the first invisible zipper I sewed in. Arg! The thought of unpicking it was apparently so daunting to me that I just let it sit there, 85% complete for 4 months. So lazy. It took all of 5 minutes to unpick!


I'm not totally enamored of how it's looking in the back. I can't tell if it's fitting issues, the wrinkle-prone fabric, or my terrible zipper insertion (or some combination of the three), but it's a bit lumpy and bumpy back there.


I finished the neckline and arms with store bought bias tape- some pretty floral stuff from Daiso. I ended up finishing the skirt with it, too, to maintain length and also because cute.


Final verdict: I'm really happy with it from the front, although, as I said, the back needs work. Maybe my fabric choice needs work, too. But a cute pattern with lots of potential!

20 comments:

  1. It does look cute on you and great job on finishing it. You could always wear a cardigan if the back bothers you to much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Yeah, I'll probably rock a cardigan with it. But hey, I can't see my back when I'm wearing it, so maybe it won't bother me ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have not had a lot of success with invisible zippers so you have my sympathy. The dress is really cute though...great that you finished it! I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Glad I'm not the only one struggling with invisible zippers!

      Delete
  3. I think it looks great - and I would not have noticed anything about the back if you had not pointed it out. You got a great fit - it is very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! Ok, maybe it's not as bad as I am thinking. Definitely planning to wear it anyway ;-)

      Delete
  4. It looks great on you! I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I've just started following your blog - really enjoy your 'makes'. LOVE this dress - well done completing a UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be your new favorite dress! I've had pieces languish and then once finished, I wondered why I didn't get it finished sooner. Enjoy your lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- there is no good reason for me to have left this for so long! I'm so happy to have it finished and wearable!

      Delete
  7. This turned out so great! I love the detail of the floral bias tape inside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am addicted to the pretty printed bias tapes from Daiso (mostly because it allows me to rarely have to make bias tape, a process that burns my fingers!!)

      Delete
  8. It must feel great to finish a UFO that's bothering you! I like this dress, but 16 darts is intense. Especially in fabric that doesn't press well -- they sure look good. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel great to finish up this UFO! Ha ha, and yes, 16 darts is intense.

      Delete
  9. This is so cute!! I'm glad you finished it and it will be perfect for an Australian Christmas vacay! I think a sway back adjustment might help the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Ha ha, I did a swayback adjustment already to the top part of the bodice, but perhaps I need a bit taken out of the waistband, too?

      Delete