Monday, October 31, 2016

Megan Nielsen Dove Blouse


I was jonesing for Megan Nielsen's latest, the Dove blouse, from the first sneak peeks. 
That v-neck, the extreme curved hem (with a hem facing!), those pretty angled bust darts...


Unfortunately, my hips fall outside Megan's size range and I couldn't find finished hip measurements for the pattern to determine if I could eke by, so I didn't buy the pattern right away. However, when I saw the gorgeous version Eleanor (@shesewsalot) made, I was able to confirm with her that the hip shape isn't restrictive for those of us on the more hippy/pearish side of things. I immediately purchased and printed the pattern.


The fabric is some colorful Japanese cotton lawn I bought at Spotlight in Singapore. The print is a little bit late '80s/early '90s, but I love the colors!

Because I wasn't paying attention to the pattern repeat/placement, I ended up with somewhat of an orange stripe down the center front seam . No one but you guys will notice, though.


For this version of the Dove blouse, I skipped the dramatic bell sleeves. I thought this cotton fabric was a bit casual for those fancy sleeves (and I didn't have enough fabric; the sleeves are fabric hogs!). Plus, I'm not sure I can pull them off, logistically speaking. I can imagine myself dipping those sleeves in every meal I eat and snagging them on every door handle I encounter. Too practical for my own good. Maybe for a fancy event, though (ha, like I attend a lot of those!)...


I love the finished blouse! The curve of the hem is lovely and I didn't have any problems with the hip fit because of how high the curve goes on the sides (although I didn't quite nail a smooth curve in that particular location). The shape of the v-neck is also fabulous. The darts hit me in the right spot (I realize they're a little bit difficult to see in this print, so you'll have to trust me on that one).


I opted to topstitch the neckline and hem facings. I like the look of the topstitching, although you can't really see it in this print. I could see doing some Alabama Chanin-style topstitching on a solid color version of the Dove blouse... that would be really pretty. Also: a Dove in drapey fabrics is on the list; I've got a magenta crepe that is screaming to be a Dove.


I think the only change I would make next time is to do a small full bicep adjustment on the sleeves. I did a cheater version and sewed the sleeve seam with a smaller seam allowance, but I could use maybe another half inch there.

My conclusion: Dove's a winner! It's cute and wearable and has some fun details...

23 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Meg! Fun fabric and I think that sleeve length is very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see a Dove in my future. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really cute pattern- I could definitely see you looking fabulous in it!

      Delete
  3. Love the fabric. I love the pattern as well but I'm still holding out lol we'll see what happens this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasha! Ha, you have more self control than I do!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful top! I've been looking at this pattern for a while now, but those sleeves, which I love the idea of, would end up being the bane of my life.......dragged through soup, cereal, butter, batter, etc, etc, etc. Yours is a gorgeous middle (and far tidier) ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I have the same thoughts about the flared/bell/whatever you call them sleeves- I admire them, but am not sure they would be functional!

      Delete
  5. Lovely and that neckline really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, this is really nice!! The fabric is fun, but still chic. Have been eyeing this pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg, this top looks so cute on you. I'm not sure that I've seen this pattern before, but thanks for bringing this pattern to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Candice! It's a cute pattern with some fun options!

      Delete
  8. Looks great! I'm not fond of bell sleeves myself because they just get in your food when you eat. I once made a knit top with bell sleeves, which look great but aren't very practical. Nice to know that this pattern will work for figures with hips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ha, I feel the same way about the bell sleeves- like the look, not sure how practical they are!

      Delete
  9. Super top, I love the fabric, it looks funky. A great shape blouse that looks fab on you (agree with the bell sleeves)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a fun fabric and I love the shape, too!

      Delete
  10. I was actually turned off this pattern because of the bell sleeves, but i LOVE your version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jodi! I think the bell sleeves are an acquired taste (which I'm not sure I've acquired)...

      Delete
  11. Great fabric, and this is a great shape on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I was inspired by yours!

      Delete
  12. This is really cute Meg! I love that fabric - the colours are beautiful! Glad you got the fit you wanted!

    ReplyDelete