Monday, December 19, 2016

Named Sointu Kimono Tee


An all ponte outfit is pretty much the definition of secret pajamas, non?


This is the Named Sointu Kimono Tee... it's a super simple pattern, but with many of my favorite features. I've had my eye on it for a while, but abstained until a) I saw a couple cute versions (the grey version by Erica at Handmade Wardrobe is so cute!) and b) it was on sale. Because I am cheap.


The Sointu pattern calls for a thick knit, like a ponte, but I think it would look nice in a thinner knit, too. There's also where the pattern has negative ease, so I think you could make it in a drapey woven, too, if you liked.


I went with some olive green ponte from my stash, while I still had my machines loaded up with green thread from my Adeline dress. I think I got the ponte at Imagine Gnats a couple years ago... it's super soft with a lovely sheen. It looks more brown in these photos, but it's an army green in real life.


I opted for a size 44/46 at the top and graded to a 48/50 at the hip.


I raised the belt loops by about 1" after basting the top together and trying it on. The belt wanted to sit higher and was pulling the loops and the whole shirt upwards.


The neckline finish is a little bit weird, but it worked for the most part. They call it a bias tape facing, but cutting a knit on the bias seemed odd, so I just cut a selvage-to-selvage strip, with the stretch. Mine isn't sitting 100% flat at the bottom of the rounded v-neck:


The belt/waist tie is very long! I wrapped it around twice and the ties still practically hang to my knees. The length makes it easier to tie a giant bow, though. Or, if you wanted to cut it shorter and save some fabric, you could.


I like it! I think I might lower the neckline a bit next time, but that's my only gripe. 
It's incredibly comfortable, and looks pretty slick paired with my Deer and Doe Brume skirt, methinks!


16 comments:

  1. Looks great! I think I have some of that same ponte, too. I tried to make a skirt with it once and it looked awful, lol. Def the pattern, not the fabric. Or, I used the wrong type of fabric. I really love the shape of this and the tie, but I feel like it would hit me in that awkward spot that can make me look pregnant, lol. Kinda like what the Moneta did to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning on using the fabric for a pencil skirt when I first bought it, but it was lighter weight and drapier than I thought it would be; more suitable for a top.

      The good thing about the tie on this one is you can move it up or down, depending on where you want it to sit. I moved it up because I am high-waisted.

      Delete
  2. I almost didn't recognize you, this is so subdued for you. Hahaha ... I kid. Looks like another winner for you! (And yeah, I've never understood a bias cut knit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, the color is a bit subdued. I paired it with black here, but it's a neutral, so maybe I'll end up pairing it with brighter colors in the future!

      Delete
  3. OK, its high time you do a pattern smackdown of just a few of the kimono tops and dresses you've sewn this year! I'd love to know the similarities and differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done more than my fair share of kimono or cut-on sleeve tops and dresses! They're so cool in the Bangkok heat! Lots more ventilation than something with set-in sleeves... maybe I'll think about doing a throw-down!

      Delete
  4. Brilliant - this looks a great pattern to add more interest than a normal t-shirt - add to the 'to sew' list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Bonus: super comfy, too!

      Delete
  5. Looks fantastic I cant feel that on me it would look like I was tied up with a garbage bag! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I hope mine doesn't look like a garbage bag!

      Delete
  6. this silhouette fits you so well! yes a very slick outfit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grabbed this pattern in the sale too! Thanks for the pointers re the waist tie and neckline finish before I have a go. I love the khaki colour of yours, and looks great with that skirt - very stealthy secret pyjamas indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! This pattern will be great on you, Katie, I can see it fitting in perfectly in your wardrobe!

      Delete
  8. Named has such cool styles. I love the belt on this one, and it looks so nice in ponte. I think you're right about the depth of the neckline--proportionally I think a little lower would be just right for you. Exactly no one would suspect secret pajamas in such a feminine top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Named does have some cool styles- always an interesting detail! I'm glad you think the neckline should be lowered, too. I'll definitely do that for my next one. And if I'm feeling adventurous, I may lower this one, too!

      Delete