Thursday, February 16, 2017

Style Arc Margaret Pants

Another Curvy Pants Month make! I am on a roll. Making pants, meeting sewing goals, kicking ass. Or something.


This is the Style Arc Margaret Stretch Woven Pant.



Style Arc describes the Margaret pant as "a fabulous basic pull on pant suitable for a stretch woven fabric, simply perfect, so easy to make and wear. The leg is not too slim just right for all occasions."  My mom, who also made the Margaret, echoed the sentiment about the leg cut, telling me it was "slim fitting in an office way." Ha!


It's got darts in the back for shaping and an elastic waist. You sew the elastic to the top edge of the pant and then fold it to the inside and topstitch with a twin needle.


The fabric I chose is bengaline, I think. I got it locally, so it wasn't labeled, but it's a very stretchy poly (or poly blend?) woven, but it's soft and thick and perfect for these pants. In some ways it sort of acted like a woven, but in others more like a knit. I ended up using a jersey needle.


 I triple-stitched the crotch and butt seam because it was stretching pretty fierce. Security, y'all.


The Margaret pant has a nice, deep, two-inch hem. I did a blind hem by machine to keep it neat, although my blind hem foot didn't like the thickness of the bengaline much, so some of the stitches are a little bit janky.


I love the Margaret pattern! I know this pair is super boring (hard to get excited about plain grey pants), but I like the smooth fit up top, the perfect not-too-wide, not-too-skinny leg shape, and I'll wear them all the time. Win. Plus they're named after me (my given name is Margaret), so double win!


I paired these Margaret pants with my silky green Maya top, but I feel like they'll go with most tops in my wardrobe.


28 comments:

  1. I love the look of these - and the name! - but I have thick thighs and wonder if they are tight in that area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thick thighs, too. I'd say they're a little bit snug fitting there, but not excessively so.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. You have me wondering if I need to try these as an alternative to my beloved Elle's..... these look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've been planning to try the Elle pant, too! We'll have to do a comparison!

      Delete
  3. Very nice pants with a great fit. How would you compare them to the Elles? Love the name too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I haven't made the Elle yet, but it's on my list. Maybe I'll try it from the same fabric and do a comparison!

      Delete
  4. So sleek! Nice job with the fit too. I'm realizing I need a good pair of basic pants like this. My one pair of semi-plain jeans I've worn continually through the winter, and I think I need a couple more options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basic pants and louder tops are definitely my uniform. Most of my pants are pretty basic, but that way they fit easily into my wardrobe!

      Delete
  5. They fit you perfectly! Nothing boring about that. Also your shoes are fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love these shoes, looks-wise, but they are not very comfy.

      Delete
  6. Those are some great fitting pants! They are very flattering on you. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I think so. My hip measurement put me in an 18, but I went with a 16 based on past experience. They're a teeny bit snug, so perhaps 18 would have been ideal.

      Delete
  8. Those are great!
    Mary in Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  9. J'adore ce genre de pantalon: pratique, ça va avec tout et agréable à porter! Il te va très bien, bravo! Et j'aime aussi beaucoup tes chaussures!!! Ici, en France, c'est encore l'hiver.... Bizzz. Béné

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this whole outfit, Meg! Sewing basics is so hard though, especially when you're a colour and prints kind of gal. But when you're finished making a basic in a solid colour and it goes with EVERYTHING... simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbey! I agree- I struggle to sew basics, but once they're sewn, I am so happy to have them to balance out my crazy colors and prints!

      Delete
  11. The pants look great on you, Meg, and go so well with that top. I'm very tempted to try the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these pants too! I am a size 18 by the pattern but have a big butt and thighs so I added a bit more room in the back crotch seam and inside back leg. They fit beautifully! Your 'boring' grey pants look great and I'm sure will be the first of many pairs. I can't wait to start on my next Style Arc pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look fantastic Meg! And I don't think they're boring, they're essential!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg, these are amazing! I can't believe the back fit! Did you adjust anything in the back? I have a very similar figure to yours and most of the things you make have the same fit on me. I need pants like this but wasn't sure how much work I'd have to do to get the back to fit well. I'm tempted to just press "buy now" for the Style Arc Margaret pants! Lyn

    ReplyDelete