Monday, February 27, 2017

Testing, testing: Blackwood Cardigan by Helen's Closet


This is the latest pattern from Helen's Closet, the Blackwood Cardigan. I was a tester for this new pattern, which is definitely a fabulous wardrobe staple!



"The Blackwood Cardigan is a cozy and versatile addition to your wardrobe. Designed with layering in mind, it has minimal excess fabric in the front and a close fit around the neck and shoulders. Its fitted shape and extra long sleeves make it perfect for wearing under jackets and vests, while also looking stylish over tank tops and dresses. View B ends at the hips, while View A extends down to the mid-thigh and includes patch pockets at hand level. The Blackwood is intended to be worn open and is not designed to close at the front."

I sewed up View B, the hip length cardigan, in size XL. I trimmed 2.5" off the sleeve length before attaching the cuffs, but Helen has shortened the sleeves slightly since testing. They're meant to be long, though, with a little bit of purposeful bunching at the wrist. 


My fabric is this lightweight wool jersey from Imagine Gnats in terra cotta, which is lovely to sew and makes for a warm but lightweight layering piece.


I think I could probably use a small FBA to eliminate the drag lines in the front, but for this non-buttoning cardigan that's meant to hang open, I'm not too worried about it.


I could see the Blackwood cardigan working with all sorts of outfits. Here I've paired it with my Cashmerette Springfield Top and Style Arc Margaret Pants to highlight the lovely rusty orange color of the wool jersey.


I highly recommend Helen's patterns. Have a look at her Winslow Culottes, too, if you haven't already. I love mine. Her instructions are thorough, with lots of lovely illustrations to walk you though things. I also love that her pattern cover drawings include images of the pattern on a curvy lady!

Go check out the Blackwood Cardigan; it's 20% off during the launch week!