Monday, June 19, 2017

Testing, testing: Closet Case Patterns Charlie Caftan


This is the brand new Charlie Caftan pattern from Closet Case Patterns! Perfect for swanning about* the house or veranda with a cocktail... 


*Because I am a nerd, I looked up the origin of the phrase "swanning about." Interesting!


(I don't know why I look so skeptical in the above photo... definitely no skepticism with regards to this caftan!)

Here is Heather's description of the Charlie Caftan: "Nothing says summer elegance quite as well as a dramatic caftan. Get Caftan Body ready with Charlie, a fresh take on this warm weather staple. All versions feature a deep V neckline, kimono sleeves, inset center panel and roomy pockets. View A is modern and architectural with striking pleats beneath the bust. For a softer, more romantic dress, Views B & C feature a gently gathered bodice with an optional waist tie for a figure skimming silhouette in two skirt lengths. You may also choose between a dramatically wide kimono sleeve, or one slightly higher cut for more coverage. " You can read more about the Charlie Caftan in Heather's introductory post here.


Please note: I was a tester for this pattern and this is the tester version. A few minor changes have been made since, namely adding the sleeve option that closes a bit higher up and dropping the bodice panel by one inch.


Obviously I went for View C, the maxi caftan, because, duh: maximum swooshiness!


I love how the v-neck and side slits allow this caftan to feel a little bit sexy even though it's a mass of fabric draped around your body. 



For my fabric, I chose this gorgeous viscose print from my local shop in Bangkok. I got it in a purple colorway, also, because it was so delightful. Rayon or viscose (or even silk if you're feeling sassy) are perfect for the maxi version of the Charlie Caftan.


I love the soft gathers on the front and the waist tie to keep it from being too tent-like. I'm quite curious about View A, though, too, with those cool pleats! That could be a great pool or beach cover-up.


My Charlie Caftan simultaneously feels romantic and dramatic while also being practical for taking care of business around the house (you can certainly move in it!). And for that, I love it and want to wear it all the time.

Now please excuse me while I go fix myself a cocktail...