Friday, June 29, 2018

Testing, testing: Tilly & the Buttons Stevie Tunic

I love a simple, boxy woven top for summer!


This is one of two new summer patterns from Tilly and the Buttons, the Stevie top and dress! Stevie is a fabulous beginner-friendly pattern with minimal seam lines that is perfect to highlight a cool printed fabric.


Stevie is an easy-fitting tunic with a round neckline and kimono sleeves. The neckline is finished with a neat, topstitched facing, and it closes at the back neck with a button and loop or a cute tie. You can make Stevie as a slightly cropped top, or short dress.  It's got options for cuffs and a patch pocket.


This is my tester version of the Stevie pattern. A few changes have been made since testing: the armhole curve was dropped slightly, the hemline lengthened 2.5cm, the front neckline curved slightly more. 


I made my Stevie from some awesome, super lightweight striped cotton from my mom's stash. It's probably from the late '70s or early '80s, so about as old as I am! If you've been following my blog since the very early sewing days, you might remember than I made an Anna Maria Horner Painted Portrait blouse out of the same fabric.


I played with the fabric's stripes a bit by changing their direction on the yoke. I love playing with stripes! I used a little mother of pearl button to close the back neck, although after seeing Tilly's Stevie sample photos, my next version will have that cute tie neck!


All in all, the Stevie is a cute, simple summer top, one that I will definitely wear a ton!