Monday, June 11, 2018

Mother's Day Cheyenne Tunic


My mother's day gift for my Mom finally makes it onto the blog!



This is the Cheyenne tunic from Hey June. After making a couple versions of this pattern for myself, I thought that my mom might like the neckline and relaxed fit of this tunic, so I decided to make her one!


The fabric I used is a cotton lawn from Belleboo, purchased on one of my last trips to Bangkok's fabric district before moving back to the U.S. On that trip, I picked up a few last cuts of fabric to shove in my overflowing suitcase, and I took photos for my Bangkok fabric shopping guide. This summery green is right in my mom's palette for warm weather clothes. I wasn't sure if the pink and yellow-y green in the print would be to her liking, but I think it looks great!


The pink buttons are also from Bangkok, from my favorite button shop at Chatuchak weekend market. For some reason I always have trouble with that pointy bit at the bottom of the button placket, even in fabrics as easy to sew as cotton lawn. I just squared it off at the bottom instead, and no one is the wiser.


This Cheyenne is a size Large bust/shoulders, graded to XL hip, same size I cut for my mom's Tallinn sweater. It's roomy, but not unpleasantly so.  


I cut the 3/4 length sleeves with a cuff and bias bound placket. They look cute unrolled or rolled up and cinched with the button tabs.


The Cheyenne is a little bit wrinkly in these photos, but that's because she wore it all day before we snapped a few shots. I take that as the highest praise, though, that it's being worn, and regularly at that!


Looking fabulous in your lush garden, Mom!


As I do with Tim, I have to coach my mom through these photo sessions, trying to make her laugh so she doesn't appear stiff and nervous. It worked: