Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Marbled Appleton Dress

Why has it been so long since I've made a Cashmerette Appleton dress?! 2 years, to be exact.


I'm not sure, honestly, as the other versions of Appleton that I've made simultaneously have me feeling hot, but also like a boss. Always. It was definitely time for another.


The fabric I used for my Appleton is a rayon/lycra jersey from Joann; part of the now apparently defunct Nicole Miller line. Apparently Nicole Miller jerseys are perfect for Appleton dresses, as I made my other favorite Appleton from fabric in the same line! I got this from the clearance rack, lucky me. I love the marbled look.


Fit: for this Appleton, I cut a size 16 C/D with 3/4 length sleeves. I added 1.5 in length to the skirt. I cut two of the wider fronts (and matching neckbands) for more coverage at the skirt. As designed, coverage isn't an issue when standing, but the extra coverage helps when sitting.


I made one construction change from last time, remembering a tip from Deb at Stitches and Seams that I had read and filed away in the deep recesses of my brain. 


As Deb recommended, I interfaced the ties with a tricot interfacing in the hope that they would not, as Deb said, "collapse into themselves and get lost in the fluff that is my waist." It's a bit difficult to see in these photos, but I think it worked well! It doesn't roll up and squish into my back rolls, but feels more like a structured belt. Thanks, Deb!


I love, love, love this dress. Perfect for the office, and, bonus, doesn't require ironing or really even matching, so it's a champ as far as quickly resolving "what should I wear" dilemmas. Expect another very soon... I've already picked out fabric!