Thursday, April 23, 2020

Seamwork Bobby Knit Dress


Insert obligatory "put a bird on it" reference here...


Here's my take on the Seamwork Bobby pattern. Bobby is a V-neck dress with a fully lined bodice, elastic waistband and A-line skirt. Bobby is designed for knits. 


Note: I am a Seamwork Ambassador, which means I received a one-year subscription in exchange for sewing up 10 of their patterns and providing some feedback to Seamwork about their patterns, articles, etc. If you use this link, you can get a little discount if you decide to purchase from Seamwork. 


I've been meaning to make the Bobby dress since it was released; I've had the pattern printed out for literally a year. I think becoming a Seamwork Ambassador has pushed me to finally sew several Seamwork patterns I've had sitting in my stash!


My Bobby is a size 16 with no fit adjustments.

I'm really happy with the fit! I was concerned about gaping at the armscye, which I often have in sleeveless tops, but I had no issues there. 


I love the deep, but not too deep v-neck. To stabilize the neckline, I used strips of interfacing around the neckline and shoulders: this stuff from Wawak is my new favorite.


I also love the wide waistband, which cinches in with 2 inch elastic. It's incredibly comfy!

A little bit difficult to see the elastic detail in this print, but you can see that it's lightly gathered by the elastic and I'd say it hits at the natural waist.


The fabric I used for this project is bird-print rayon/lycra jersey given to me many years ago by Jenny of Cashmerette as a thank you for pattern testing. 

I think the fabric sat in my stash for a long time because I wasn't totally sure the birds were "me." I'm still not entirely convinced, but the worked well for this very wearable muslin!


The overall look of this pattern and fabric combination is probably a little more classic/lady-like than I normally go for, but it's a lovely dress, good for the office (if I ever make it back there), and super comfy. I think it'll be great with a cardigan or short jacket layered over it, too.