Monday, April 18, 2022

Flannel Cameron Button Up

I've had this fabric to make my sister a flannel button up shirt for ages, and I finally got around to it.


The Helen's Closet Cameron Button Up is a classic button up shirt. It's dartless and has a boxy fit from the chest to the hip. I thought it would be the perfect pattern to pair with my flannel. 

For my sister's shirt, I cut Cameron's View A, with the long sleeves, tower plackets, and cuffs. 

The Cameron Button Up pattern goes from size 0 to 34, or up to a 60″ chest and 62″ hip. On the chart my sister's measurements put her in a size 10 bust, blended to 14 at the hips, so that's what I cut. 

The fit is quite good in the shoulders and bust, I think. Roomy and relaxed, but not oversized, good for layering. I probably could have done with a size 12 hip, but the 14 still works. 


The fabric is Robert Kaufman Mammoth flannel. I've had it in the stash for a while now, but I think I bought it from local shop Notion several years back. The colorway is "Surf," a lovely turquoise, chocolate brown and tan check. 

I cut the cuffs, yoke and pocket on the bias for some interest, and to avoid pattern matching. The pattern matching across the front of the shirt was easy because the button placket is grown on.

The Cameron Button Up would be a great first shirtmaking project because the instructions are really thorough. I really liked the sewing instructions for the tower plackets in particular. There were a couple interesting techniques I'd never seen before to help nail the fiddly bits. 

Because of how thick the Mammoth flannel is, I decided to finish the hem with bias tape rather than doing a double turn on the curved hem.

For closures I opted to use some metal snaps from Snap Source. I love how they look with the plaid. 

I'm really happy with this project! She really likes it. She said it had a "shacket" vibe and wore it two days in a row after I gave it to her, which I consider a win.