Thursday, March 31, 2022

Birthday Batik Shirt

Another birthday shirt for Tim: a batik button up! 


You know it's gone well when he opens the birthday present and immediately puts in on for the day!

The pattern I used for his shirt is my go-to, TNT men's shirt pattern, McCall's 6044

This is officially my 25th version of this pattern! Click here to see all the other versions I've made him over the years. It's wild how different a shirt can look depending on fabric choice and finishes.


I really need to sit down and trace it on card stock because my pattern pieces (which are already traced) are so well worn at this point!

The short sleeve version is a really quick sew, too, with no yoke, no fiddly sleeve plackets, etc.


I used a beautiful Indonesian medallion batik from my stash, in colors I haven't really tried for Tim before- deep purple, periwinkle, coral, and turquoise. I think it looks great!


Plus we walked by this perfect purple wall in downtown Burlington while he was wearing it. He was a little chilly, hence the dramatically clenched fist!

I love that I can get a short sleeve button up shirt for him out of 2 meters of 42 inch wide batik, with some creative cutting. 

For this one I used the very narrow border print on the button bands and on the top of the pocket.

I think he really likes it and it looks fabulous on him. Birthday shirt success.