Thursday, June 9, 2022

Citrus Linen Harper Tunic


Last fall, when I heard that a garment fabric shop, Stash, was opening up locally, I immediately went ahead and made a purchase to support the shop, even though I was trying to reduce my fabric consumption (sort of very loosely participating in Jacinta's Whole 30 Fabric Challenge- mostly just trying to sew more than I bring in). 


Among other fabrics, I snapped up some of this amazing Merchant and Mills 185gsm citrus-colored linen (no longer in stock, but Stash has lots of lovely linens). 

It was a bit of a splurge for me, but such an amazing color. I was apprehensive about what to make with it, so I let it marinate in my personal stash for several months awaiting the perfect project and/or excuse.

Then I created the perfect excuse: Robin, the owner of Stash, and I decided to host a casual gathering of garment sewists (or aspiring garment sewists!) locally (it was so much fun!). This event was clearly my opportunity to make something from my special linen. 


I ended up opting to make another Elizabeth Suzann Harper Tunic after really liking the one I made a couple years back. The fabric I used for my previous Harper Tunic felt a little bit stiff, but I knew the Merchant and Mills linen would have great drape and work well with the pattern.

Like my last Harper, I cut a size OSP2, which worked well. This is the long sleeve version of the Harper Tunic, although I like to wear it with the sleeves rolled up. 

I just adore the Harper's ridiculously huge angled pocket... mine is a little bit saggy in the soft linen, but it doesn't bother me too much. 

I'm pretty enamored with my tunic. The color and the comfort level are on point. 

And I think it's pretty versatile and I'll get a lot of wear out of it. The linen is good for warm weather, but it has long sleeves and I can fit a base layer underneath, so it will work for cooler weather, too.