Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Abstract Cotton Jacquard Pietra Pants

After my recent success with the Closet Core Pietra Pants pattern, I decided to make another pair! 

And I might like this pair even better than the last!

Like my wool pair, I cut a size 18 from the curvy range.

Again, this is View A, the full length pant with wide legs.

I ended up hemming them up four inches, which is about an inch shorter than designed. I'm liking this length, and may take up my wool pair another half inch because they feel a bit long.

The fabric I used is a gorgeous cotton/linen abstract jacquard from Needle Sharp in the auburn colorway, a beautiful color that is sort of a clay red in some lights, and a chestnut brown in others. 

I ended up finding that a brown thread matched best, but in these photos the fabric looks so red!

Needle Sharp is known for garment sewing kits and monthly subscription sewing boxes, but also has many interesting and high quality fabrics by the yard

They sent me this fabric, which is available as yardage or as a dress kit, for free in exchange for a blog post about my experience. 

This reversible, textured fabric is so soft and squishy. It has a double gauze-like feel, two layers pinned together by these neat geometric puffy bits. Very nice drape. 

I was worried the fabric would be difficult to sew, or that it might even stretch out because of the crinkly, gauzy texture, but it sewed up swimmingly and didn't stretch out at all. 

The only area where I struggled a little bit with the topstitching on the back waistband for some reason, without the fabric bunching up. 

I ended up sewing a couple vertical (rather than horizontal as the pattern suggests) lines of stitching to prevent the elastic from rolling down. It worked out fine.

I'm pretty smitten with these pants. They are incredibly comfy and quite striking in this fabric!

I paired them with my Spaghetti Western Sewing Ramona top for the win!