Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Striped Ruby Overalls

My mom loved the overalls I made her for mother's day and I thought they looked great on her. So when she showed up at my house with a length of fabric from her stash and a plan to make another overalls pattern, one with a complicated tie closure that looked difficult for bathroom breaks, I convinced her that another pair of the Helen's Closet Ruby Overalls was a better bet. 


The fit on the Ruby overalls was so great on her, and since they have a half-elastic waist, they are relatively easy to get on and off.

I cut the same size as her last pair, a size 10, since it worked out so well. The cropped overalls are actually full length on my short mom. 

The fabric is a beautiful striped cotton seersucker from my mom's stash. The stripes are purple and white, but the white has a rainbow of colors through it. Very pretty colors and with a lovely texture. 

Note: for this photo below, I made her pose in her purple overalls next to the Purple Haze plants she accidentally picked up at a plant swap because she thought they were a purple flowering perennial! I am dying. 

Back to the overalls: I played with the fabric's stripe direction and the construction of the overalls by cutting the bib facings on the cross grain so the stripes were horizontal. 

I sewed the bib facings on on the exterior so they would show up and contrast the vertical stripes on the body of the overalls. I love how it turned out!

I skipped the Ruby pattern's anchored inseam pockets at the hips in favor of using a "pork chop" shaped patch pockets rom the Jenny Overalls pattern

I also cut them on the cross grain so the stripes were horizontal and sewed them on the exterior of the front legs, with the top of the pocket ending up under the bib facing.

For closures, I made buttonholes in the bib and then put two buttons on each strap so they can be adjusted as needed. I used pretty purple-y pink mother of pearl buttons from my stash. 


They turned out amazing! I think I like them even more than the turquoise pair. The stripe play is really fun, and they are so summery and chic.