Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Jenna Shirt with Ina Energy

I've been on a shirt-making spree, and this latest project is giving big Ina Garten cooking for a cocktail party in the Hamptons vibes. Or maybe Ina Garten cooking a Friday night roast chicken for Jeffrey vibes. 

These may be one in the same; I'm not sure Ina changes her look much depending on the event. Oversize collared shirt in blue, black, denim. Sometimes with a neck scarf. 

In any case, I'm leaning into the look with these photos... I'm using the good olive oil, making homemade chicken stock, rocking my Le Creuset (which is clearly empty in this photo- ha! stage prop!).

The pattern I used for this Barefoot Contessa cosplay is the Closet Core Patterns Jenna shirt. The Jenna is an oversized shirt with a drop shoulder, deep back yoke, chest pocket, traditional shirt collar and collar stand, and a long sleeve with a classic tower placket and cuff. 

I cut View A, which is the longer version with a deeply curved hem. This is the first pattern I've sewn from the Closet Core alpha size range, which goes up to 4X (60" bust, 62" hip). 

I sewed a 1X, which worked out well. Quite oversized, but I think it's meant to be. I imagine I could go down a size and it would still work.

The fabric is from my stash, originally purchased in Bangkok- I made some Birchgrove pants out of it several years back. I honestly don't know if it's linen or a super lightweight denim. It's got a twill weave and a lovely slubby texture, though. 

I played with the fabric's texture with my Jenna. It has a subtle stripey-ness to it, so I cut the cuffs, yokes, pocket and other details on the cross-grain. 

I did double buttons on the wide cuffs because cute. 

I forgot to put the hanging loop at the back and regret that a little, but not enough to unpick and add it in. 


My beefs with the pattern: the collar is quite small. I think I like a bigger collar, personally.

 Also, I remembered that this type of curved hem is not my favorite - it feels unfinished and a little unstable at the bottom of the side seams at the hem. I prefer the curved hem where the front and back curves meet up smoothly at the side seam. 


Otherwise I'm quite happy with my Jenna shirt! It's pretty classic, and has some interesting construction details and methods. I could definitely see myself making the cropped version sometime soon. 

In the meantime I'll be rocking this Ina look all spring...

Remember: if you can't make your own Ina Garten cosplay, store bought is fine. How easy is that?!