It seems like for every finished crafting or cooking project I put up here I have at least one, and sometimes multiple, failed attempts before I get a success. This time it was a baby gift for Amy and Adam's impending baby boy using this blue, yellow and green yarn from Bernat.
First, I tried knitting a pullover sweater, based on this cute pattern. The body came out great, albeit a little curly at the edges. But it all went to hell when I tried to add the sleeves... my knitting skillz are apparently not advanced enough to know how to troubleshoot and eliminate the hole that kept appearing in the armpit. Sigh.
Then I tried to make a baby blanket using the same yarn. Initially I was winging it, just doing stripes (not unlike the baby blanket Chuck made last year), but I didn't like the way it looked and felt:
Next I tried a blanket based on this "Purely Square Baby Throw" pattern from Lion Brand Yarn, but I think my yarn was too thick. The blanket was heavy and stiff and draped awkwardly (although I liked the pattern... maybe it would be nicer in a finer yarn):
Ultimately I ended up going back to an old, reliable, fool-proof favorite... ye olde crochet baby cardigan.
Works every time: