Sunday, December 2, 2012

Wristers: Knit Your Bit!

 My latest knitting project: tubes with holes.


They don't look like much, but they're a big accomplishment for me... I used double-pointed needles (really tiny ones at that: size 2!) for the whole project, so new skills are being mastered.

Colleen (who is my number one blog reader/commenter/fan) sent me a skein of this pretty, self-striping sock yarn (Patons Kroy Socks FX in Cascade Colors) with no instructions for its use, so I made her something with it. Gloves were still a little bit out of my comfort zone and I wasn't sure there was enough yarn for socks.  But fingerless gloves?  Don't mind if I do.  Good for texting, right?


I used this super easy pattern (k3, p2 in the round until the thumb hole, then work flat for a bit, then in the round again for the hand part) that has a super interesting back story.   Apparently back in the day, during World War I (and again during WWII), the American Red Cross provided yarn and instructions for Americans to knit socks, gloves, scarves, hats, vests and other warm things for service men and women to wear while on duty in freezing cold Europe.  There was even knitting propaganda: Our Boys Need Sox. Knit Your Bit.


Pretty interesting!  Hopefully she likes them!