Sunday, May 19, 2013

Batik Beach Cover Ups!

I wanted a new beach cover-up for our diving trip to Bunaken (photos here, here, here, and here, plus more coming), preferably one that covered my shoulders and chest (most commonly sunburned areas) and that was made from woven fabric, since all my knit cover ups got super stretched out after many beach and diving trips over the past several months (not having a dryer exacerbates this, for sure).

I decided to dredge up the Burdastyle Anda dress pattern (which I used somewhat successfully here and more successfully here) and grab some batik fabric from my stash... ta daaaa:


I busted this out over the course of a few hours.. using packaged bias tape helped, as did making the entire waistband elastic rather than making a tie. The dye in the fabric ran a little bit during the trip because I didn't pre-wash it.  Oops!


Colleen was digging my cover-up, so I told her I would make her one.  She picked up some beautiful batik while in The Big Durian and I rocked this out this week:


And finally, so that Scuba Steve wouldn't feel left out of the handmade party or leave Indonesia without any batik (god forbid!), I made him a bandana with some navy batik leftover from a Scout shirt I made my friend Brooke before Christmas.  Hopefully it comes in handy on his round-the-world travels!

2 comments:

  1. Wooot! I'm so excited! I'm so lucky to have my own seamstress. This dress is going to be wonderful for Croatia! All the baton sewing looks awesome. I bet Eileen would like either the hammer pants or the bubble shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I know, right, Eileen would totally rock the hammer pants willingly and happily. See you tomorrow!! Orangutans, what what!

    ReplyDelete