Sunday, August 18, 2013

Washi Tunic in Nelly

I have had Made by Rae's Washi Dress/Tunic pattern  on my to-sew list since it came out last year.  Not quite sure why I didn't buy the pattern and just make the damn thing until now, but I was so happy with the result that I wore it out approximately an hour after finishing it!

 

I sewed up the tunic version of the pattern using this beautiful fabric, Sapphire Nelly from Sis Boom's Honey Child line.  The colors in the fabric are awesome.


I made a few changes to the pattern:
 
1. I lowered the neckline so that it was even with the bottom of the Washi's U-shaped cut out. 

2. I have a facings phobia, so I skipped them and used bias tape around the neckline as a facing.

3. After wrestling with the elastic thread and my machine for a while in a failed attempt to shir the back of the tunic, I gave up and sewed a strip of fabric across the back on the inside and made 4 rows of casing for thin (1/8") elastic.

4. After making 2 muslins of Washi bodice, I decided to go one size down from what my measurements called for.  

I can't wait to make the dress version of the Washi.  Maybe I'll line the bodice to eliminate the need for facings and make the elastic casing in one go.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'd like one! You're pretty much amazing at this clothing making business. You're looking lovely in this and that skirt you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, lady! this might be my new favorite shirt.

      Delete