Thursday, March 26, 2015

McCalls 6044 Machine!





Another of my tried-n'-true shirt pattern for Tim, McCall's 6044. This time, the short-sleeved version, view A. Nothing new on the fit front: I just cut the same size as my last two. If it ain't broke...


Tim's office in Jakarta is closing this week and he wanted a new batik shirt to wear to the close-out celebration, so I busted out some of this cool black and brown hand-stamped batik from my stash.


This batik is a bit stiffer than the last two fabrics I used for McCall's 6044 (tencel/cotton chambray and a cotton voile/lawn). It's more like a quilting cotton, but it still works for this shirt.


To shake things up a bit, I did the teeniest of color blocking by using some solid black for the inner collar stand and one of the button bands (the hidden/back one). 


I wanted to do more: all black button band, collar stand, collar and maybe even cuffs on the sleeves. Partly because I thought it would look cool, partly because it would help avoid some pattern matching across the button band (you'll see I was only mildly successful there, but I will blame it on the slightly askew hand printed fabric).

Tim thought the additional colorblocking would make it look like a bowling shirt, though, and not in a good way. 


But the Dude abides with the final product. Looks pretty good, methinks!