Monday, March 16, 2015

Striped McCall's 6044


The chambray McCall's 6044 buttondown I made for Tim earlier this year went over so well (it's one of his favorites!), I decided to make him another one. This time, striped and in honor of his birthday, albeit a few weeks early...



Wow, adding stripes into the mix certainly ups the level of effort! While McCall's 6044 is a fairly simple pattern (no yoke, not a lot of bells and whistles), stripe matching, especially with an uneven stripe like this one, adds to the complexity. 


I think I was mostly successful on the stripe-matching, although the two-part sleeve gave me a bit of trouble and I can't figure out how to successful match the stripes from the body to the sleeve at the shoulder. And can someone explain to me how along a single seam, the stripes can match at the top and bottom, but not in the middle? Sigh. Just don't look too closely.


The fabric is a super-duper lightweight chambray-esque lawn (voile?)- I'm not really sure, honestly. It's soft and lovely, whatever it is. It's got these uneven stripes that look like they've been painted on. I got it locally at one of my go-to fabric shops here in Bangkok.


I made the same size for Tim as I did last time- large in the shoulders, halfway between medium and large from the armpits down. Cut the stripes perpendicular to the body for the cuffs, collar, collar stand and pocket for a little bit of interest.

Lookin' good!


10 comments:

  1. It's a perfect fit! Every time I see your man makes I think I need to sew for J. But it feels daunting for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! Yeah, sewing for dudes is strangely intimidating. I think it's because men have a much smaller window of what's acceptable to wear than women do. At least that's the issue for me. You have no idea how long it took me to convince Tim to go for the pocket with the stripes perpendicular to the rest of the shirt.

      Delete
  2. Lovely! And using the horizontal stripes is so fun, don't think I've ever seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! I thought the horizontal stripes would work well for a more casual shirt!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I LOVE this fabric! How very nice of you not to steal it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely considered it! They have it with a blue-green stripe instead of coral, too... hmmm... may have to go back for more!

      Delete
  4. Dude!! I absolutely love this shirt and you did a fantastic job with the stripes. I have been searching for a striped chambray for myself so I'm a little jealous of your Bangkok connection - definitely go back for some for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I think the sleeves look great. I have been paying close attention to men's shirts and suit jackets with the pattern matching and they almost never match completely.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Heather! I am relieved to know that perfect, complete stripe matching is an impossibility ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love this version of 6044. I have made a few for my husband and I really like the pattern. Great fabric!

    ReplyDelete