Thursday, September 3, 2015

Dude Sewing: Jersey Juba Shorts


Tim requested some "sleeping shorts" made from "t-shirt material." I translated this to mean simple, comfy, elastic waist shorts in jersey knit.

I used the Imagine Gnats Juba Shorts pattern. I'd used this pattern before for Tim for these plaid patchwork shorts, so I knew it would work with a few tweaks to the fit to make these shorts work for Timmy.


This time, I went with a size L width and leg length, but the crotch length of the size S. Rather than have the elastic just in the back waistband, I made these with elastic running all the way around the waist through the casing.


The first pair I made in some navy and yellow striped jersey I bought here in Bangkok- I'd used it for a Strathcona t-shirt for Tim last year. I got the stripes to match up pretty well on the shorts:


The orange fabric is Kaufman Laguna cotton jersey in tangerine from the Imagine Gnats shop. For this pair, I added pockets at Tim's request. I used the free Juba shorts pocket pattern, but only did a one-layer pocket, top-stitching it to the front pants pieces with my twin needle and using a strip of jersey to bind the pocket edge:


He likes them! Jersey Jubas for the win. 


16 comments:

  1. Nice! I should make some for Jeremy. He would love the orange ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the orange, too... so fun.

      Delete
  2. These look awesome and comfy. Love the orange and great idea for the single layer pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those orange ones! I need to find me a "one layer pocket" tutorial, can u recommend one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! Hmm... I don't know of a tutorial. I learned the technique from the Made with Moxie Prefontaine Shorts pattern, but maybe I should create a tutorial!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for making and reviewing these!! They look awesome, and I just got a request for "sleeping shorts" as well. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Might be time to make myself some comfy shorts, too!

      Delete
  7. Very inspiring, I have yet to make my other have something, this could be it. They do look comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a choice for a first foray into sewing for men! Hard to go wrong...

      Delete
  8. Oh, they look so comfortable! My husband would love something like this. I'm with Rebecca... I don't know that I've ever seen how to do a one layer pocket, but it sounds like a perfect bulkless solution for knits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! It's official, I'll have to do a tutorial for the one-layer pocket.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete