Monday, August 31, 2015

Areli in Speckled Mochi Lawn


Damn, I love the colors on this blouse!

This is the new Areli pattern from Republique du Chiffon. All that piping and the Nani Iro in the sample versions sucked me in.


Yes, the pattern is in French. I figured my high school French (I used to read Camus and Baudelaire in French... what?) and Google translate would help me muddle through the instructions. Ha ha, turns out sewing pattern instructions French is very different from the French of existentialism/absurdism and depressing poetry. Also, high school French was like 18 years ago for me, sooooooo....


...muddle, I did, although only somewhat successfully. The underarm area, at the intersection of 4 piping ends, the yoke and lining, gave me a really hard time and looks quite rough. I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to get all these things to meet up without raw ends. I just won't lift my arms up, I guess.


One major complaint I have with the Areli pattern is not language-barrier related, though: I am disappointed that the pattern pieces for the front and the back are the same (minus the bib, of course). The front and back of my body are not the same... how about a little shape?  Also: it's pretty short. I would add some length if I were to make it again.


I feel like I could have just drafted that little bib part myself, tacked it on top of a Maya top or a Washi tunic and achieved a better fitting approximation of Areli. That's what I get for impulse buying this pattern. Bad, lazy Meg! Check your pattern stash before buying!


That said, I don't hate the top, it just has some little details and fitting issues that will drive me nuts. Plus my piping application is atrocious! I bought myself a new machine recently and tried to use the invisible zipper foot from my old machine on it... although it clips onto the machine, the needle doesn't get close enough to the piping/zipper. A proper foot is in the mail!


My fabric is this gorgeous lawn by Rashida Coleman-Hale for Cotton +Steel that I bought at Nido when I was in Burlington a few months ago... the colors are amazing! I played off the orangey-red in the fabric with some bright orange piping I bought in Singapore. Super pumped about this color combo and want to make everything in magenta and orange now.

21 comments:

  1. I like your version more than the one on the actual pattern photo - beautiful colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really in love with this color combo, too!

      Delete
  2. The fabric is gorgeous! 'Love the color combo! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This fabric is pretty delightful- must find more!

      Delete
  3. I'm giggling because on the french site, that lady couldn't look more.... french.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha- I totally aspire to her casual cool look!

      Delete
  4. Ack! I love this color on you! And the piping is such a pretty contrast. I'm giggling over the Google translate experience as well. I used it to help me muddle through a Burda skirt pattern in Russian...it was quite comical. Thank goodness for pattern diagrams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I always thought greens and blues were my colors, but lately I'm thinking magenta is my best look. Ha, yeah. Google translate was no use here... Those technical terms made no sense when translated that way!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is so pretty! I love the fabric and the contrast piping! I really like the details in this pattern: the bib, the piping, and the pleats. It's too bad there aren't instructions in English, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! Yeah, I would not recommend trying to google translate a pattern... Not helpful!! Note to self: wait for English translation.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the review, I was going to buy this too but I think I may take your tip and hack the Maya instead! Anyway your version turned out really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. Yeah, although the final product is cute, I am kicking myself for not just recreating it with what I already own.

      Delete
  7. This turned out really cute - so brave of you to work with French instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing a little at you reading French philosophy but not a sewing pattern. I get it, though - I learned diplomatic Armenian before I moved to Armenia - I could converse very well with government officials but I didn't know how to order a cheeseburger.

    The blouse is cute on you - I am the queen of lengthening everything but I actually think the length of this one works. I also think it's pretty cute on you and not really shapeless at all. Though I get what you are saying about being able to modify an existing pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also did I mention it's cute on you? ;)

      Delete
    2. Same thing happened to me in Indonesia, Masha- I could speak pretty well formally, but sometimes when I just wanted to chat with a taxi driver, I didn't even know the casual way to say "I" and "you."
      Re: lengthening, I forgot to note in my post that it called for like a 1 inch hem, but I just serged and turned up as little as I could get away with.

      Delete
  9. It looks fantastic! I love the fabric and that orange piping is gorgeous! Too bad about the fit though. I hate those patterns that use the same front and back pieces. Come on we have boobs!! Hooray for high school french!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog and really love this shirt!

    I'm roughly the same silhouette as you and I tend to sew tops using a roundabout cheater FBA method: I choose my size by full bust and then just do a narrow shoulder and swayback alteration. I love uncomplicated designs like this and adding for my bust just seems way more complicated than making two simpler adjustments. My favorite no-seam swayback method (which really just eliminates extra fabric folds at the back and gives a touch of shaping) is this one:
    http://www.fitthat.com/swayback.htm

    ReplyDelete
  11. This may not be you number one blouse but I have to say that the color and piping are beautiful on you. You'll just have to always remember to not lift up your arms (I bet it is not that bad!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, you are cracking me up "gee, sewing patterns are different than Camus," and "the front of my body is different than the back." LOL! Love it! That said, I really really love the lines of this blouse, problems and all. It is so interesting and cool!

    ReplyDelete