Monday, August 10, 2015

Mustard Ponte Veronika

Can you believe I have never made or worn a circle skirt before now? 

How??!! Why??!!



These things are seriously joy-inducing; you just can't help but twirl! It turns out, though, I am terrible at twirling. Does anyone have any tips on not looking like a goof and/or falling over while twirling? I managed to not have my underwear show, so that's a minor win:


For this skirt, I followed Megan Nielsen's free (!) Veronika skirt pattern, version 3, for stretch fabrics.


Could I have drafted a circle skirt myself? Could I have used the By Hand London Circle Skirt App to get me halfway there? Yes and yes. But I am so, so lazy. And Veronika offered me the lazy woman's perfect solution.

The fabric is some lovely, drapey ponte de roma from the Imagine Gnats shop. I worried it would be too heavy, but it seems to be the perfect weight for this skirt. 

Yellow is not normally my jam, and I'm pretty sure it would look awful next to my face, but this mustard was calling my name so I figured I had to go the skirt route with it. The color and the twirl factor of the circle skirt have just knocked this one out of the park!


I made this skirt entirely on my serger (save sewing the ends of the elastic waistband together), which is made it a fun and crazy quick project.


I let the skirt hang for the requisite 24 hours before hemming. Or deciding not to hem, as it were! My skirt didn't seem to stretch out too much or get too uneven, and since ponte de roma doesn't unravel, I skipped hemming it.

This Veronika was somewhat of a test to make sure that I actually liked circle skirts before making a By Hand London Anna bodice plus circle skirt combination for a wedding I'll be attending in September.  Since I am logging this in the success column, one Anna/Veronika coming right up! Veron-anna? Annonika?

22 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for circle skirts and have already printed the Veronika -- just haven't found the right fabric. This looks fab!

    I the Anna/circle combo would be a winner, especially in a luxe fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Veronika really is circle-skirting for dummies, which I appreciate. You do need super wide, fabric, though (at least to fit my waist at the length I want!).

      Definitely planning the Anna/circle skirt combo- I hope I like the woven circle skirt as much as the knit!

      Delete
  2. loool I feel the same way sometimes. "I can probably draft that... but the pattern is right there" lol
    Pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha- laziness prevails! I prefer laying out a pattern piece to math any day!

      Delete
  3. The first time I made a circle skirt I was all OMGWHYDIDNTIDOTHISBEFORENOW!?!?!? :)

    I totally think THIS (or at the least, a 1/2 circle) is far more universally flattering than an Aline!

    It looks amazing on you and the color is absolutely dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt! I think I never made one before because I thought it would be too vintage-y or something, but I LOVE it!

      Delete
  4. I love this - and the colour is perfect! I am far from a professional twirler, so I have no advice for you. I am the queen of falling over. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I am not alone in my inability to twirl gracefully!! ;-)

      Delete
  5. What a great skirt! I'm looking forward to seeing your wedding-guest Anna - what kind of fabric are you going to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this really pretty floral cotton lawn-esque stuff I bought in Hong Kong- the design on the fabric is so big (each flower is like a foot across) that it just demands a circle skirt.

      Delete
  6. The color is great as a skirt. I really like it with the black tee. Nice twirl form too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha- thanks, Masha! I'm just glad I didn't fall off my balcony while twirling!!

      Delete
  7. Love this silhouette on you! I think I need to get back to my roots and make a circle skirt...it's been ages! And I hear ya on the decision not to hem. That's the worst part of making a circle skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, circle skirts are so great, I cannot believe I never made one before. You should make your next one from a knit: comfy and no hemming. Win-win!

      Delete
  8. There's nothing better than a sewing project that is joy inducing!! That's a really cute skirt. I've never made a circle skirt before either (why, I'm not sure) so I'm on my way to the website to check it out right now! Great color and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try making a circle skirt... I am officially a convert!!

      Delete
  9. Yellow is TOTALLY my jam, as you know, so wowsa, I love this skirt!!! Fabulous, glorious yellow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) This is definitely a happy color!

      Delete
  10. That is a stunning skirt and you look great in it! I want to make one right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should! Free pattern... why not?

      Delete