Monday, August 3, 2015

Antalya Dresses



A few months ago I made some coordinating Antalya dresses for my nieces...
After seeing so many cute versions of this Willow & Co pattern around the interwebs, I succumbed to pattern pressure and bought it with plans to make it for the girls.





I used some inexpensive cotton fabric in a Thai-style print for the main body and skirt, with a coordinating yellow for the side panels. Little yellow buttons on the back...


I love how those hip gathers turned out- so cute! I will admit, though, that gathering all the fabric into that tiny space, plus the curved seam up the bodice, was a bit of a pain in the butt. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to ease in smoothly without a few accidental tucks here and there. Luckily the printed fabric disguises it for the most part.

Here are some shots my mom took of my nieces wearing their dresses:



Awww...


14 comments:

  1. That gathering and curved seam give these dresses such a fab shape. Lucky girls, they look pleased. I found your blog through Instagram, its great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louise! That curved seam and the gathers are really what drew me too the pattern!

      Delete
  2. They are very cute on your nieces. I like how they coordinate, the buttons are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, they are adorable!!! Matching dresses on pretty sisters in a lovely garden - it's like something out of a children's book! Yes, I bet it was hard to gather evenly onto the curved sides! But I love your choice of fabrics here and it is a big part what makes these dresses special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! Ha ha- my sister in law will be so happy that someone was admiring her garden!

      Delete
  4. They're so sweet! I always want to make things for my boys that are a little different, so that when (and if) they get handed down to the next, it's still interesting enough for them, but then, I get sucked in and end up making something matching anyhow because matching clothes on siblings are so.flipping.cute. Great work. Your nieces are adorable together, and the hip gathers are such a great detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matching is so, so hard to resist! I at least tried to do different colors here for the same reason you mention...

      Delete
  5. Cute dresses in a cute garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! I can take credit for the dresses, but not the garden! That's all my sister-in-law!

      Delete
  6. They are darling! Love the pop of yellow! Thank you for using my pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great pattern, Olga! It's just lovely.

      Delete
  7. Oh my - the look adorable as always! Great colours and fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete