Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Purple Piped Pajamas


Although I adored the idea of the Closet Case Files Carolyn Pajamas from the get-go (and subsequently saw gorgeous piped pajamas everywhere after that- see The Mindy Project, etc.), I didn't really neeeeeeeed any pajamas when the pattern was first released. So I waited. It was only a matter of time before they became a necessity...


A couple months ago, Carolyn got her chance. She pushed her way to the top of my sewing queue after two pairs of Target pajama pants that I'd had for probably six or seven years literally disintegrated on my body within a week of one another, as if they'd been constructed to automatically self-destruct after a certain number of wears. Waistband casings full of holes, back hems frayed, seams ripping, and the coup de grâce: this epic rear seam blow out, documented for posterity on Instagram. The struggle is real, y'all.


The fabric is some pretty Japanese cotton lawn I got from one of my favorite Bangkok fabric shops. They have so many fun florals in unusual colors, like these yellow and orange roses with electric purple leaves (see also: Bettine and Fifi for more floral cotton lawn in colors not found in nature).


For my Carolyns, I went for the piped version using some purple store bought piping (thanks for being my piping hook-up, Mom!). The electric purple buttons from Bangkok's Chatuchak market just happened to perfectly coordinate with the piping.


Speaking of buttons, I cheated a little bit and just sewed the buttons straight through both plackets without sewing buttonholes. Lazy, I know. But will I really unbutton this shirt when I can just pull it over my head? Probably not.


Size-wise, I cut a straight size 16 on top, size 18 on bottom. As you can see, I went for the full length sleeves and pants... Tim likes to sleep with the AC set to arctic blast, so I get cold at night sometimes. This is the pant and sleeve length as-is from the pattern. Works well for me. A little bit long, but that's how I like it.


I can't say that I nailed the piped notched collar. It was a bit fiddly and tough to get around those curves when topstitching. Let's just say that I'm thankful for the disguising powers of a busy print! Plus, it's pajamas. I'm not going to get too worked up about whether or not my piping meets perfectly.


Even though I'd read that the pants were fairly close-fitting, they were snugger than I imagined they would be, particularly across the bum and the thighs. But I think I'm just used to wearing quite oversized jammies, so maybe it'll just take some getting used to. After wearing them, they've stretched out enough to quell my "too tight" fears.


Next time I make these pajamas, I might leave off the pant pockets. I probably won't use them much and they're a little bunchy. Not much room for pockets with thighs like mine! I might consider doing single layer pockets, too (see my tutorial here).


Overall, I'm really happy with how they turned out! I'd like to make another pair in rayon challis... I think the slippery, cool fabric would be nice to sleep in. I might skip the piping, though. I could also see myself making just the pants to wear with a t-shirt, which is my typical sleep-wear uniform.


Bonus fake yawning/stretching in my me-made PJs below. The things I put on the internet these days?!

28 comments:

  1. Nice! I have my fabric washed and I've done two muslins for the bottoms (just the shorts to start)...just a matter of cutting into the fabric and getting going! I'm so glad I did the muslins because the first one I made was too tight, so I would agree the fit is a bit tight through the hips, which is of course my biggest part, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 muslins? You are more cautious than I! Smart, though, as the pants are closer fitting than your typical PJs, I think. I feel you on "tight through the hips," that's pretty much my middle name.

      Delete
  2. Great fake yawning/stretch poses, and great new PJs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Debbie! I was hoping they would make people laugh ;-)

      Delete
  3. Your fake yawns are TOO CUTE. LOL. You're straight out of a children's book! Love it!

    Like you, I'm all about the PJ bottoms with t-shirts, but I must say this pattern intrigues me even though I can't remember the last time I wore actually matching and cute pajamas!

    Mine would have to be flannel right now, though. We don't need AC in my house right now, it's set to permanent "arctic blast."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Inder! I was going for laughs with the yawn poses... I couldn't resist!

      It sounds so cold at your house!! Being from the northeast where everything is insulated, I always found CA's lack of insulation to be strange! I never associated it with the goldrush like you mentioned in your post, but it makes total sense!

      Delete
  4. Great yawning shots! Really makes it clear how awesome these PJs are. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle! Ha, I thought some yawning shots might help illustrate how the pajamas would work in real life ;-)

      Delete
  5. Your fake yawning just made me yawn! I love these pjs. Those colourway is awesome & the fit looks great. Another winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contagious yawning!! Ha! Thanks, Anna!

      Delete
  6. Ooohhh -- these look comfy and fantastic. Have to be more cozy (and definitely more chic) than Target jammies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie!! They definitely beat out the Target PJs!

      Delete
  7. Lovely pyjamas! The purple piping and matching buttons are a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I was worried these would be too yellow for me, but the purple brings them back into my color comfort zone!

      Delete
  8. Very cute! And now that you've told me I don't need buttons, I"m even more excited to sew up the shirt part some day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian! Definitely no need for fiddling with buttonholes when you can just pull the shirt over your head!

      Delete
  9. These look awesome, Meg!! I've made 1.5 sets of Carolyn's that I'm not crazy about (rayon seemed like a good idea, but it's so wrinkly / and silk - WTF was I thinking?). Cotton lawn sounds like a much more fabulous choice! I might try another pair in tencel though, because I'm obsessed with Mindy's PJ sets... and every time I see an episode, I'm reminded to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie!! Good note about wrinkly rayon! Ooh, tencel would be nice. Isn't Mindy's PJ wardrobe to die for? She has the best prints!

      Delete
  10. I made a full Carolyn set right before I had my baby and I wore them quite a bit. Sadly, the interfacing I used for the collar was total junk and it got all bubbly. I ended up tossing the shirt but I wear the pants all the time. I want to make another set eventually and I think cotton lawn would be so dreamy for them! Yours are really fun. I love florals in colors not found in nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, bummer about the crappy interfacing! You should definitely make some more... cotton lawn is a great choice for these, I think.

      Delete
  11. These are great!! My dream is to have 7 sets of Carolyns so I can have a different set for every night. I'm crazy, but it would also be a great stash busting project right? I love this floral print with the purple piping, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week's worth of Carolyns would be fabulous! Best dressed sleeper ever...

      Delete
  12. Me encanta tu blog y todo lo que haces... También me gusta coser mi ropa y me inspiras para mostrarlo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me encanta tu blog y todo lo que haces... También me gusta coser mi ropa y me inspiras para mostrarlo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look lovely, and here's to endless floral fabrics in shades nature never made!

    ReplyDelete