Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Testing, testing: Nita Wrap Skirt

Today I'm sharing my tester version of the brand new Nita Wrap Skirt pattern from Sew DIY.


This simple but fun wrap skirt comes with 3 length options (mini, midi, maxi) and 3 waist closure options (button, tie, belt with D-ring). For my tester version of the skirt, I opted for the midi-length with a button closure at the waist.


The fabric I used is some inexpensive cotton fabric I bought in Bangkok's fabric district. It's machine woven, but meant to mimic traditional handwoven Thai fabrics. It came as a 2-ish meter length sewn into a tube for wearing as a sarong. I cut it open and my pattern pieces fit perfectly on the fabric if I cut on the cross grain so that the border stripes went along the hem of the skirt.


I opted not to sew a lining for this particular skirt, but perhaps I should have. This fabric is a bit lightweight for a skirt, in retrospect, and wrinkles like crazy.



I used a pretty mother-of-pearl button I had in my button jar. This skirt is perfect for showing off this random single buttons we all hoard. Oh, is it just me hoarding single buttons? Oops.


I love the simplicity of this skirt- it sews up so fast! With the different length, closure and fabric options, plus the bonus full coverage front wrap (with a less dramatic angle on the wrap), this could be a versatile wardrobe workhorse.



I think next time I make it, I may have to fiddle with the front darts a little bit- perhaps lengthen and narrow them- as I am getting a little puffiness/hollowness beneath the darts at the abdomen area, as you can see in the photos. Thoughts on how to remedy this?


I love how the Nita Wrap Skirt pattern can look wildly different depending on fabric choice - check out the other fun tester versions on Instagram. I think it can look very modern or a bit vintage, depending on your fabric.


By the way, I've been trying out some new poses and faces... this look below is called "WTF are you looking at, guy in neighboring apartment building?" What do you think? I'm thinking it's the new "smize" and will clearly be sweeping the nation.


Anyway, that's my Nita Wrap Skirt! You can read more about this new pattern from Beth on the Sew DIY blog. Keep in mind that it's 20% off during its launch week, too!

25 comments:

  1. Ok, pop quiz: Could you sit down in this skirt at work and still be decent? That is all I need to know! ;) Otherwise, looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give it a C grade for decency while sitting down. It opens up a bit, but not all the way. There is also a more conservative option that has a less sharply angled wrap- that would provide more coverage when sitting, methinks.

      Delete
    2. That was my first thought as well!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for this all-important "report from the field," I was reading through your post waiting for it! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Your version looks fabulous and really suits you. I'm with Gillian though, I'd worry about the flashability index when sitting down. Glad to hear that there is another option available with this pattern that offers more coverage. I'm very tempted to have a go, it is a seriously cute pattern

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! Yeah, the flashability is a bit of an issue, but it looks like Beth has provided a more conservative option, which is great.

      Delete
  3. Very cutely styled. I'm loving the last picture. What a beautiful smile!
    I'll be trying out the new smize at my next shoot lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Ha ha, the new smize will be on every sewing blog soon. It's such a friendly look ;-)

      Delete
  4. Nope definitely not the only one hoarding single buttons! They're the bane of my existence when I go rummaging! Love the fabric you chose, works so well with the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Ha ha- I have so, so many single buttons collected over the years. Glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  5. Looks great! Effective stripe usage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I was delighted with how well this pattern worked for this small piece of border print fabric!!

      Delete
  6. Meg I'm starting to think that there isn't a look you can't pull off - you look great in everything you make! Love the fabric you chose for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Heather, you are too sweet. There are many looks I can't pull off... I just try to avoid them.

      Delete
  7. Love it! I don't think I could decently wear it (I have to REALLY concentrate on sitting with my knees together) but it's so cute I might be swayed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Yeah, we'll see how this one fares as far as the practicality test goes. But the option for the more full coverage version will probably help. If I made it again, I would likely do that version.

      Delete
  8. This wrap skirt is really lovely and its a fab colour. Love the border stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love the color, too. I should have taken an up-close shot of the teal with the pink and orange stripes...

      Delete
  9. I think it looks great Meg. I especially like the boarder print. Your fitting issues might be resolved with this adjustment... http://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand-london/14227713-sewing-indie-month-a-tutorial-from-maria-denmark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh- thanks for the tip, Anna! I've bookmarked it to use next time I make this skirt!

      Delete
  10. So cute on you!! And I love it in that border stripe fabric! So, butt darts end up looking like that on me because my love handles are the same size as my butt (LE SIGH). Technically, I don't need the darts, because it's all pretty flat, but I like the look, so I usually reduce them to almost nothing and take out the difference on the side seam. "Essence of dart" is what I jokingly call this "flat bottom adjustment." I think that dart releases more fabric than you need for your shape, hence the poof.

    ReplyDelete