Thursday, March 31, 2016

Simplicity 1080: Dottie Angel Frock

Another Mom make...!


This is the Dottie Angel dress, Simplicity 1080, which was all the rage on the interwebs a few months ago. 


The cover versions are a bit country/shabby-chic for my taste, but I could see that the simple lines of the dress would be nice. I love cut-on sleeves and under-bust pleats. After buying the pattern for me back in the States and lugging it across the world, my mom saw the appeal, too, so we decided to make one for her while she was in town.


We had bought this stylized navy and magenta peacock feather print quilting cotton last year when she was in Bangkok, with no particular plans on what to make with it. It seems like the perfect match for this pattern. 


To be honest, for such a simple dress, this pattern was kind of a pain to put together. The pattern pieces are not layered/nested, so they take up approximately one million pattern pages. Since we decided to grade from a medium on top to a large at the hips for my mom, I had to cut out separate pattern pieces and layer them myself. Not the end of the world, but it would be easier to work with if the pattern were layered.


Also, the pattern has lots of details and overly-complicated/confusing instructions that we opted not to do. We didn't double top-stitch all the seams or bind the hem and shoulder seam allowances. It seemed like overkill, and with this busy fabric, you couldn't really see the double top-stitching anyway.


We also opted to omit the pockets, for aesthetic reasons. We found them to be firmly on the shabby chic side of things and that's not the look we were going for.


After trying the dress on, we had to raise the armholes by 2.5 inches, as they were really quite low, showing the entire bra band at the underarm... whoa.


The neckline is fairly wide, too, and low in the back. After wearing it out to dinner and having a little bit of a straying neckline, my mom may add bra strap carriers when she gets back home.


In the end, it's a pretty cute and infinitely wearable dress! I've got plans to throw one together for myself out of some batik from my stash. Great casual weekend dress!

12 comments:

  1. I love it! Your mum looks awesome in it & you both did an ace job sewing it! I love your feedback about the pattern - I've been wanting to buy it but I'm not the worlds best sewer (& I've got a biggggg bust) and all the reviews that I've read don't really lean into my buying it. I do like the front pleats under the bust and the arms BUT... Sigh, if only there was the perfect pattern out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rie! Yeah, while I like the final look, some of the instructions I found to be a bit strange. I think if you did decide to buy this pattern, you'd have to do an FBA, for sure, as the bust is the only fitted part.

      Delete
  2. I really like your version of this! I've been seeing the pattern everywhere and it struck me as a bit too "Depression-era housewife"--this is so much prettier! Your mom looks great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I felt a bit like you did about the pattern, but hoped with a more modern fabric choice that the lines of the dress would work really nicely. I think it helps that I left the pockets off, too ;-)

      Delete
  3. Regardless of all the issues, it really is a lovely dress on your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried a wearable muslin for myself with this last year and it was a big disappointment. I would agree with you about the overly complicated instructions. I like what you made for your mom though and omitting the shabby chic detailing! I might try this one out again but using linen. Looking forward to seeing what you make for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to make an honest pattern review. I think your mum looks great and the fabric choice is so vibrant, it really brings it up to date. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the helpful review! I bought the pattern for my mom a while back and haven't made it yet. Love the version you made for your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to read an honest review about this pattern as I have been wondering about it. I think it looks so great on your Mom - it's a shame it was such a pain to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, I have this pattern a d actually feel more i inclined to sew it now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! Shame it was a bit of a PITA but it's worked out well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely fabric -- you mom looks beautiful. Too bad the pattern was a pain!

    ReplyDelete